Stairs, berber, skirt board oh my ....

Old 01-16-05, 04:49 PM
msteudel
Visiting Guest
Stairs, berber, skirt board oh my ....

Hi there,

This is my first time on the board. My fianncee and I just purchased our first house so we are busy learning how to home improve.

So on to my problem.

We had a carpet company come in to install a berber carpet. When they got to the stairs they had a problem. They said that the skirt board on one side is angled and will create gaps between the berber and the skirt board if they lay it as is. They then explained that we'd be able to pull off the molding and straighten it out no problem. We dutifully noded our heads and tried to remember what they said. Now that we are try to do it we a little confused as to what exactly we are trying to do and how to know when we are done.

So we have a right angle and are trying to straighten out the skirt board. If we just measure it at the back of a step and get it vertically 90 degrees is that good enough? Or do we need to measure elsewhere as well?

Thanks, Mark

Old 01-16-05, 05:36 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Often times the skirtboards or stringers are nailed to the drywall and treated by carpenters as just a trim to protect the drywall. Stair building has become a lost art. If you can pry the skirting out from the drywall you can use a square to measure the straightness of the skirting. If there is a gap between the top of skirting and the wallboard you can cover it with a quarter round moulding.

Of course this can all be avoided by the carpet installers by simply turning the sides of the carpet under, making adjustments on the carpet in and out as they install each step. Call the carpet seller and ask about this option. They may or should charge extra for this service, but it will save you alot of work. Rolling the sides of the carpet under to make these adjustments is an "old school" technique that made it easier to work on steps in old out of square homes. Give then a call and see if they will try this. If they employ a carpet geezer it will be no problem.

Old 01-16-05, 08:14 PM
msteudel
Visiting Guest
Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the info, that sounds like an interesting option. The skirt is already covered by quarter round molding, which I re,moved, and I've already started trying to pull the skirt board out. If I check each step and measure it vertically how perfect do I need to get the skirt board to make it easier for the carpet people? Does it need to be perfectly 90 degrees or can it just be clos.

Mark

Old 01-17-05, 02:19 PM
D
As long as the width measures the same from the top of the steps to the bottom, and from the front to back of each tread it will work. If they use tackless on the sides of the treads it will give them a little room for adjustments. Rolling the sides under is a more viable option.

Old 01-17-05, 09:32 PM
Of coarse your skirt is not perfect, these days they seldom are.

It sounds more like lazy unskilled installers that don't know how to deal with such things.

Cut the carpet to the widest part of the width of the step and install the dang thing. why make such a big deal about it. if it takes more time for them to do it that way, then pay them by the hour to do the steps.

Heck, for me to touch berber steps, it is $10 each. I think I can handle a little angle. Maybe they didn't bid it high enough to do it right, in the time it will take to do it right.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: