How do I level out my poured floor?

Old 01-22-05, 11:02 AM
chopper33
Visiting Guest
How do I level out my poured floor?

My home is about 3 years old and I am in the process of finishing the basement. The wall studs are all up, now the question is how to fix the unevenly poured concrete of the basement floor prior to carpet and tile. Parts of the poured floor has dips up to 1 1/2", I was thinking of pouring that leveler cement mix to level it out but I was told by someone that a good carpet pad would take care of the uneveness (is that a word?) The dri-core product looks like it may be able to help if I use that. Do you need a sub-floor prior to laying carpet and a mold resistant carpet pad? I am hopefully planning on just putting the carpet pad and carpet right over the cement floor without a subfloor. Any comments would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 01-22-05, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carpet hides imperfections in the subfloor, better then any other flooring, but there is a limit. I'd have to see this 1" If it is abrupt, float it. If it is a crown, you may get by, but it will still feel funny.

A low spot, and the carpet will stretch like a trampoline, over it. That may not be good and cause a trip hazard, along with wear problems.

Starting out with a flat surface for the tile is a good idea. Keep lipping and having to back butter tiles to a minimum.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: