is 1/2" gully between wall and tack too big?

Old 03-07-05, 12:26 PM
L
Logan10
Visiting Guest
is 1/2" gully between wall and tack too big?

I'd like to know if a 1/2" gulley between the tack strip and the baseboards is too wide? what will happen if it is?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-05, 03:28 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Grand Canyon Of Gaps

Any gap between the tack strip and baseboard will be a dust/lint/junk trap.

Usually, the baseboard is removed and the tack strip is installed as close as possible to the wall and then the baseboard is re-installed. This produces the smallest possible gap.

The smaller the gap the better. If this is your own home and you plan to stay for a long period of time, then, you'll have to put up with a ring of dust around the room. This can be vacuumed up with a canister vacuum. An upright model will leave the "ring" around the room.

Ted

Old 03-07-05, 07:11 PM
D
1/4 to 3/8 gap is acceptable according to the cr105. the industry srandard set forth by the carpet and rug institute. Don't put the baseboard on top of the carpet or tackless or you will neet to remove it in order to replace the carpet in the future.

Old 03-08-05, 06:15 AM
L
Logan10
Visiting Guest
TackStrip Space

Well I've installed the new baseboards with the 1/4 inch gap under them, now laying tack strips and wasn't sure what a good guide would be for around the tack strips, so you're basically saying as close to the baseboards that I can get without being under them, because the space between the wall and tackstrip where the carpet slopes down to the floor again will catch dust? I used a 1/2 board around the room to space my tackstrips from the baseboards, but I'm thinking that's too big of a space there.

Old 03-08-05, 03:30 PM
D
No 1/4 in back from the edge of the baseboard.

Old 03-09-05, 12:25 AM
K
Besides being decorative in its own right, baseboard does have a function... why not put the baseboard on over the floorcovering edges?

Old 03-14-05, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by Kobuchi
Besides being decorative in its own right, baseboard does have a function... why not put the baseboard on over the floorcovering edges?

Because by placing the baseboard on top of the carpet, you trap it in, and lock it under the baseboard. Like Daniel said, you would have to remove the baseboard in 5-10 years, when you want to replace the carpet, after it uglies out.

You want the gully between the tackstrip and baseboard, to be the thickness of carpet being installed, but no greater then 3/8".

So if your installing real thin carpet, you would need a smaller gully, then a thick plush.

My gauge is my finger between the base and tackstrip, squeezed tight.

Old 03-15-05, 12:52 AM
K
Originally Posted by Carpets Done Wright
you would have to remove the baseboard in 5-10 years
That's what I do.

But it doesn't take long, and seems to accommodate the typical sequence:

Pull baseboards,
paint room and baseboards (better paint baseboard different colour when separated from wall),
remove old paint spattered carpet,
stretch new carpet,
reinstall baseboards, touchup.

Don't your customers usually take the opportunity to paint when their carpet's days are numbered? I always encourage painting *before* floor renewal, usually get my way.

But is there another reason not to lock the carpet under the baseboard, besides independence of trades?