Carpet / Pad in Dry Basement

Old 03-09-05, 05:17 AM
harwick
Visiting Guest
Question Carpet / Pad in Dry Basement

I am finishing my basement and want to put Berber carpet on the floor. The floor is dry but there is a sump pump whick operates in the spring. I have a Dehumidifier and gutters. No water problems so far. Lowes' is reccomending their rebond 1/2" 8lb. Odor Block II pad which has a blue plastic laminmate on top. The carpet I'm looking at is a Coronet 52.5 oz, 8591 Density 100% Olefin Berber with a 10 year wear warranty and a 7 year stian warranty. Installed price for 564 sq. ft with 12 steps is $1425. My questions are:
1) Am I getting the right kind of pad (I am converned that the blue mositure barrier might trap vapors from the concrete floor.) They also offer a 6lb 7/16 pad
2) Is the carpet a good choice for the basement.
3) Is 1/2" pad too thick for berber (rug and carpet intitiute recommends no greater than 3/8")?
4) Do I need to fill in small cracks inthe floor or seal the floor, and if so with what?
5) How is the price? (I think the carpet at 1.02 /ft is cheap but install at .75/ft is expensive.
6) Lastly, how should I handle the intersection of the tile and carpet? (My tile guy says just butt up carpet against tile. My Carpet guy says have tile guy install a metal border b/t tile and carpet.)

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-05, 06:43 AM
TheKneebiter
Visiting Guest
I was told by a few different rug dealers that on concrete you need a breathable pad under the carpet or it will build moisture and mold. I am also looking at putting a carpet in my basement and i am dizzy with all the choices and prices

Old 03-09-05, 09:24 AM
TheKneebiter
Visiting Guest
Now im really confused I just had another salesman come to my house to quote me a price and he told me that on concrete i would need a moisture barrier pad that has microbial treatment in it. red on one side and black on the other. He said that without it the rug could get mold. I told him that i do not have a water problem but he said that does not matter because concrete lets moisture in even if no water is seen. now i dont know who to believe im in the same boat as you and need a correct answer.

Old 03-09-05, 04:05 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Berber in a basement should have a felt or rubber pad. 1/2" rebond is too thick, not only is it too thick, it may well void the carpet's warrantee. I think you need to visit a different carpet store.

Old 04-01-05, 02:18 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carpet in the basement

I think you should take a step back before investing in carpeting for the basement. I was nearing the end of my basement remodel project and was about to put carpet directly on the floor of the basement. I was very proud of the fact that my basement had never had any water issues. Then came the rain of Aug 2004. The ground was so saturated that the water actually came up through the basement floor leaving puddles. I was convinced that I should address the potential water problem before putting down carpet. After much research, I decided to use a product called Delta FL. It is a plastic dimple membrane that you roll out on the floor. On top of that, I installed tongue-in-groove 3/4 in plywood. This consumed all of 1 inch of headroom and created a warm, dry, subfloor on which I now have a berber carpet installed. The dimples create an air cushion that not only makes the floor warm, but also allows air to get to any moisture that may accumulate under the plywood. I would highly recommend this method. As far as the padding goes, I think they used a felt pad, which is fairly standard for berber. The plywood-on-dimple membrane also creates a very forgiving surface if you have small children that may fall on the floor. Good luck!