carpet backing

Old 03-18-05, 07:33 AM
D
dorinda57
Visiting Guest
carpet backing

We are remodeling and pulled up carpet and found they had glued carpet to lineloum floor. The carpet backing is stuck to the lineloum floor how do we get this off or can we leave it on and put glue over it and just lay carpet down. The backing came off pretty evenly so theres not alot of uneven spots.

Thank you for your time .
D&T

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-05, 01:55 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stuck Backing

You didn't mention what the backing is made of... Is it jute or foam rubber???

You also didn't mention which room this is in. If you are re-modeling a basement area, then, consider just laying the carpet down over what is there and use tack strip to secure the edges. In most cases, it's not a good idea to glue carpeting down. What you end up with down the road is the exact situation you are now facing.

If you want to remove the backing, you can use a paint thinner to dissovle the existing glue. However, this will probably remove the adhesive below the linoleum and allow that to come up also.

I'm afraid you have quite a mess on your hands. It might be possible to use wax stripper to remove the backing if, when the carpet was put down, it was glued to a waxed floor. This would be the least expensife experiament to try. If it works, the stripper won't lift the linoleum, just the backing. Make sure you get top quality stripper from a janitorial supply company. By and large, the stuff sold in supermarkets is too weak to work properly.

Hope this helps.

Ted

Old 03-20-05, 07:23 AM
D
dorinda57
Visiting Guest
Carpet Backing

The backing is foam and the room location is in the kitchen. Its an old mobile home we are remoldeling. I guess it was a popular in the 70's to have carpet in your kitchen. We just found the masterbedroom has the same problem carpet glued to lineloum floor also but we have not tore it up.
So ,the easiest way for the kitchen is to tack it down so that we dont have to strip the backing off right ? Its pretty even, luckily the carpet tore up without leaving alot of holidays.
The next question with the masterbedroom, were thinking of just laying new carpet over the old carpet. I know it sounds crazy but it would save alot of time not going through what we have with the kitchen. That carpet is still in pretty good shape,its thin and butt ugly yellow. it So we were thing of using it as the padding and putting the new carpet over it. I know your thinking what planet are we from right. Anyway it was just a thought.
Thank you for your time.

Dorinda57