How to cut berber carpet?

Old 03-28-05, 05:36 PM
maryannkacz
Visiting Guest
How to cut berber carpet?

I am installing a berber carpet in sunroom, no pad or tack strips. I have installed carpet in this room before, but it was indoor outdoor type. Is berber cut from the back or front? I plan on sealing edges with carpet sealer or possible installing a base shoe molding. What is the trick to cutting carpet close to the wall? The last one I installed turned out really well, close to the wall, but it took forever, ended up using carpet scissors for most of it.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-05, 11:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
from the back

Old 04-02-05, 09:21 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cutting berber carpet

A row cutter is best for cutting berber carpet. This can be difficult if cutting from the front side for some straight-rowed berbers because yarn falls over on itself and makes it difficult to part yarn and cut between rows. Thus, it's sometimes easier to cut from the back side of the carpet. A dull flat screwdriver can be used to help find the rows from the back. Run screwdriver along back where the cut is to be made. The screwdriver should go naturally into the row and mark it for cutting. Then, run row cutter along that row from the back. Note: Cutting between rows is important to eliminate fraying the loops. Make sure you use a seam sealer in addition to tape on seams.