Carpet vs hardwood flooring

Old 04-30-05, 06:57 PM
frank200
Visiting Guest
Carpet vs hardwood flooring

I plan on replacing the carpeting in my living room. I am considering hardwood floors instead of new carpeting. Right now the carpeting is over plywood floors so I'd need to install new hardwood flooring.

I hear that carpet is harder to maintain or can be allergenic or that teflon in carpet may be bad for you. Can you please give me all the considerations such as maintenance, durability, any health related issues etc. when comparing the two.

Thanks so much.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-05, 06:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Reglar residencial tufted carpet, if your going for price.
Hardwood of anykind, if your wanting to increase the value of your home.
Laminate is in the same "disposable" catagory as carpet.

Carpet is not harder to maintain, it is basically the same time wise. One your using a vacuum daily, and one your sweeping daily.
One you have HWE cleaned once a year, while vacuuming traffic areas daily. The other you recoat, or if let go too far, a complete refinish. That time all depends on the use and abuse the floor and espesially the finish receive, along with the daily sweeping and weekly deep cleaning and dry buffing.

Studies have show, allergies are worse, when carpet is removed and replaced with hard surfaces.
Carpet traps and filters particles. Your vacuum removes them. if you vacuum as recommended by the carpet manufacturers. Hard surfaces don't and thus the particles are always airborne, or disturbed easily by just walking thru the residence.

Actually carpet is more durable than wood. It just uglies out faster, and there is no restoring it.

Old 05-02-05, 06:21 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'd go with the hardwood, especially if you have young kids or pets. I have hardwood almost throughout my house and it makes cleaning up dog fur much easier. I also prefer the look of hardwood to most any carpet and it will add value to your home.