Carpeting basement on concrete slab

Old 07-05-05, 11:23 PM
oakley408
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Carpeting basement on concrete slab

A search revealed this is an old question, but seemed to be related to repair mode rather than new construction. I will be building a new home soon. Questions:
1. Do I need to put some type of sealer on the concrete? I plan to have a professional job on waterproofing the basement...and it will be a daylight basement.
2. What is the best type of pad? I want a good long-lasting job. Is there a specific weight or specification I should put in my builder's specs?
3. Due to good success with berber in our present home we plan to use berber again. What materials do you recommend? Nylon? Wool? Or something else?
4. How about sheet vinyl in the laundry room?
5. Ceramic tile in the basements will be specified.

Your suggestions are appreciated. Incidentally...great forum.

oakley408

Old 08-12-05, 11:22 PM
floormeinwy
Visiting Guest
I'll try and answer a few of your questions for you. First, usually concrete does not have to be sealed for carpet. Second, as far as padding goes with a berber use a high density pad not to exceed about 7/16 of an inch thick. Also stay away from rebond pad if you go with an olefin berber ( not advised anyway). I love wool if it is the budget and if moisture will not be an issue. As far as vinyl in the laundry room, well why skimp now- just keep it tile. One other thing be careful what berber you choose if you have large open rooms as seams might be an issue.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: