Alternate carpet/tile transitions

Old 07-07-05, 12:04 PM
jigsaw
Visiting Guest
Alternate carpet/tile transitions

I would like to place tile in the entranceway, so I need a transition piece to go from carpet to tile. I read about a z-bar which hides the metal transition, but I would like to know the any other options that show or don't show metal.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-05, 01:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The carpet to tile reducer (many prefer using Schluter because of color options) where the tile and carpet meet is used to prevent the tile from cracking or chipping along the edge. The lower portion goes under the tile with only the smooth edge visable from top. Some feel that this method that is preferred by carpet layers contributes to wear of carpet in the area of the transition because carpet gets folded under above the tile.

Others do not like the looks of transition pieces and use tack strip to butt carpet up to the tile at the same level. If you leave about a quarter inch between tack strip and tile, you can tuck carpet in.

From the standpoint of cleaning issues when carpet and tile abutt, when the tile is cleaned, carpet will have to be protected from tile cleaner. And, particular attention will have to be paid to cleaning transition with crevice tool to prevent soiling in the transition.

Old 07-11-05, 12:09 PM
jigsaw
Visiting Guest
Thanks twelvepeople!