gap under baseboard?

Old 07-10-05, 09:09 PM
tacoboy
Visiting Guest
gap under baseboard?

It was recommended to me that I should have a 1/2" to 3/4" gap under my baseboards before installing my carpet to avoid the edge of the carpet popping out and unravelling. I'm about to install loop pile carpet and I have already nailed in my baseboards and painted them and the thought of ripping them all out to raise them up is not appealing at the very least. I have a 1/4" gap between the baseboard and the tack strip already and I was under the impression that once stretched, it could simply be tucked in between the strip and the baseboard and stay put.

Any thoughts on this? Should I have installed carpet first then baseboard to hide imperfections?

Old 07-14-05, 08:28 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1/4" is optimum.

Old 07-15-05, 05:36 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should be fine with your carpet installation. Many leave a 1/2" gap when installing carpet with pad. The opening becomes invisible once carpet and pad are installed. It also makes baseboard look taller.

Old 07-17-05, 11:08 PM
tacoboy
Visiting Guest
Well, I didn't get a reply for several days on this so I decided to go for it. I left the baseboard as is (flush with the subfloor - no gap) and simply tucked in the carpet in the 1/4" gap between the tackstrip and the baseboard and it looks like it should be fine.

Also tried my first seam - worked pretty well for my first time!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: