Carpet over laminate

Old 07-22-05, 08:19 AM
JSN
Visiting Guest
Question Carpet over laminate

I have 2 yr old laminate flooring -floating, not glued - over concrete basement floor. All in good shape but I would like to carpet this area (wall to wall) but carpet dealer says the laminate will have to be removed first because the laminate expands and contracts. I agree but I would think, being a synthetic material, it moves less than hardwood flooring would and they do install carpet over that. I would like to avoid this if at all possible due the work and waste involved (700 + sq ft).
Is it not possible to leave it down and nail the tack strips through the laminate or at best just cut out a strip along the walls to nail the tack strips to the concrete? Would like to hear from pros and others who may have had experience with this issue.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-05, 08:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Laminate is a TEMPORARY floor. If tackless is nalied to it and the carpet is properly stretched it would actually blow the laminate off the floor. Two failed floors in the same room is unusual, but it happens when people try to cheap out and save a buck on removal of a previous floor.Remove the laminate.

Old 07-24-05, 07:08 AM
JSN
Visiting Guest
Understand but...

Good point you made re buckling the laminate when stretching the carpet -but if I cut out a 2 or 3 in strip along the edges where the tackstrip would be nailed to the concrete rather than the laminate -would than not prevent the buckling since there would be no lateral pressure on the laminate itself?

Old 07-24-05, 08:00 PM
The carpet would look like a picture frame around the edge drop off. It would not hold to the pins on the tackless and even if it did, it would wear very prematurely in that area. Other than a couple hours of work, what will it really take to remove the laminate? For that matter, if it is a click laminate it can be used in another area.

Old 07-25-05, 09:16 AM
Can I piggyback on this thread?

Hey all,

I have a similar situation. I'm finishing a room in my basement that had different floor coverings with previous owners. The first guy laid a vinyl (linoleum?) covering over the concrete floor. Then, someone laid capet over that, then the carpet was removed, which left what looks like a dried, brown adhesive over the vinyl. I really want to lay bottom-of-the-line carpet over it all. What are my options? Do I have to cut out the vinyl, or can I just lay carpet over the crusty adhesive layer?

Thanks,

Woostah

P.S. In one spot, the vinyl has been pulled up to reveal the concrete underneath. But, the concrete isn't smooth, it's rough. What the...??

Old 07-27-05, 05:08 PM
I took up 100 feet of laminate today just to repair one board that the alarm guys drilled a hole through, and then put it all back together, in less then 2 hours.

Yes you can lay stretched in carpet, right over the vinyl.