Basement carpeting - is the pricing fair?

Old 09-07-05, 01:14 PM
Handy-Capped
Visiting Guest
Basement carpeting - is the pricing fair?

I am getting my basement carpeted and have received my first quote from a guy who has been doing floors on the side for 25 years. I live in the Chicagoland suburbs, and have about 112 sq. yards to cover. The guy is quoting me about $1000 just for pad and labor, which works out to be about $6/sq yard on labor and $3/yard on the pad (1/2" 8 lb). He says he can also get me a 40% discount from a local wholesaler. I got a couple of carpet samples which I need to check availability on. The cheapest of these, INCLUDING the discount, is just over $21/sq. yard. That works out to about $2400 for the carpeting alone, so I'm looking at a total cost of around $3400-$3500, depending on taxes.

I have a couple of calls out for other quotes, but I'm clueless on pricing and would like a basis for comparison. How does this deal sound?

Old 09-08-05, 08:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it depends on the quality & style of that carpet. you didn't say what kind it was..... $21 sy isn't exhorbitant, but it's more than some. with oil prices & all right now, carpet is higher than normal. i paid $11 sy for carpet a couple years ago. priced it again a month ago to use again in a different house, and it's gone up to $16 sy. they said they'd had 8 mark-ups this year alone.

that labor seems high. even berber, which is higher labor than plush, around here, is only $2.50 or $3 sy. be aware that there may be additional charges for seams, stairs, tear up, materials, etc.

$3 for pad sounds about right. hope you're not putting 1/2" 8lb pad under berber. i think that's too thick. 7 lb is enough for berber. too thick a pad can cause carpet to stretch.

Old 09-08-05, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is pretty good for your area.

My pricing starts at .61 a sq.ft, which is $5.49 per square yard installation labor and goes up from there.

I provide 6# 7/16" rebond cushion for .27 a sq,ft. = $2.43 a sq.yd.
I provide 8# 7/16" rebond cushion for .33 a sq.ft. = $2.97 a sq.yd.

I am also in an area over run by illegal immigration, that keeps labor rates very low.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: