Re-Adding A 5' Square of Carpet

Old 09-13-05, 05:19 PM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re-Adding A 5' Square of Carpet

We bought a house that has carpet that is likely ~5-6 years old.

In one corner of a family room was a wood burning stove that we've since removed.

The faux brick was removed from the wall and floor and we're now down to the original vinyl floor.

In the attic, was a small roll of carpet that appears to fit this spot just about perfect.

Anything I need to do other than buy a few tack-strips, and stick the carpet in place?

The tack-strips we saw at home depot were 4' long, our square is 5'x5'. Ok to just use one? Or should we use a 4' and 1' section?

Finally, should we do all four sides, or is there some other preferred method?

Old 09-15-05, 12:13 PM
Your going to need 3 sticks of tackstrip. One of which you will only use .

Your going to need come cushion

Your going to need a carpet seam iron and the seaming tape, along with the seam sealer to go with it.

Your going to need a carpet stretcher.

Your going to need a straight edge and a framing square.

But mostly, your going to need a sharp razor knife.

You'll have to buy my book, to learn how those tools are properly used. Just joking. But I would have to type out a book here.

Old 09-15-05, 03:58 PM
C
Holy crap, I was hoping to throw it into the corner with some tack strips and not look at it again.

I've got sharp knives, a straight edge, and a square or two.
Is the carpet seam stuff easily found at a big-orange-box store? And can a normal iron double for your carpet iron?

First questions first -- I've got a 5'x5' square. Two sides are a wall/corner. Two sides meet the original carpet. Where are you using the 3 tack strips? Carpet side and using the baseboards to keep the others down?

Thanks again!

Old 09-15-05, 04:08 PM
D
The box stores also have a pressure sensative seam tape. Should work fine for your need.

Old 09-16-05, 05:27 PM
You need 3 - 4' pieces/sticks of tackstrip along the walls that don't have tackstrip. 5x5 = 10 linear feet really needed tackstrip comes in 4 feet pieces. you will use 2 pieces to get the 5x5 walls.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: