Carpeting

Old 12-19-99, 06:14 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I want to install a carpet runner up 5 staeps and down a hallway OVER existing wall to wall carpeting. Is there a way to keep the runner from slipping on the staeps?

Old 12-23-99, 10:32 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking

There is a piece of hardware that is used on finished wood steps to keep a center carpet runner from slipping. The ones I have seen consist of a rod that is a little longer than the runner is wide, which is attached to the steps by a bracket at each end that gets screwed into the steps. These should be available in more sophisticated hardware outlets. Hope you can find them and that they keep your runner from running!

------------------

Old 02-12-00, 01:05 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi!
The rods he's talking about are called "stair rods" and they are available in all different styles and sizes. Unfortunately, if the runner has any bulk to it, more likely than not, the runner will end up shifting and bubbling slightly as you use the stairs. Normally when the stair rods are used, the runner is still "tacked" down to the stairs preventing the shifting. Since you are using it over top of existing carpeting on your stairs, you probably will always have trouble. Also, since you are thinking of doing it that way, you may want to know that it will cause excessive wear to the nose of the step. The friction will prematurely wear both the existing carpeting and the runner. I wouldn't recommend this type of install, although if the above mentioned reasons aren't a problem, give it a shot.

Old 11-26-04, 08:05 PM
eplain
Visiting Guest
Hi!
I wouldn't recommend this type of install, .

Neither would i.

These "Rods" are used today for decorative purposes ONLY.
Years ago people were more practicle and the stair rod was operational.
They left enough carpet at the top of the runner (folded over) so they could release the tension on the rods and slide the carpet runner down and fold it under at the bottom now. Now, you walk on the portion that was on the riser instead of the tread. You reapetd this back and forth regularly and your runner had more of a life. Of course the riser must have looked aweful! from the bottom towards the end of the carpets life!.

One more thing...

You are asking to screw two little brass pieces through your existing carpet and pad to reach the wood underneath....not good.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: