While the Carpet is Up . . .

Old 02-17-00, 07:03 AM
Visiting Guest
Plan to remove carpet myself. (plywood subfloor) Before having new carpet installed . .. would like to attend to SQUEAKS all over and also (maybe) find or create troughs to run wiring (speaker or telephone or other low voltage). Any ideas on best way to do this? . .. . Thanks

Old 02-17-00, 04:37 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi Dennis:

Squeaks in floors usually means that there is movement between the floor and the joist members below. Simplest way to fix this is to find the squeak and screw the sub floor back down to the joist.

I don't suggest creating troughs in the floor for any kind of wiring. If you change your mind later, you'll have to pull up the carpet to move the wires. Instead, run the wiring around the room between the wall and tack strip. Tack strip is supposed to be installed at least 1" away from the wall. This leaves lots of room for low voltage wires and makes it a lot easier to make changes at a later date.

Just my 2 cents.

Ted

------------------
Carpenter's rule:- Cut to fit - Beat into place :-)

Old 11-26-04, 08:22 PM
eplain
Visiting Guest
[QUOTE]Hi Dennis:

I don't suggest creating troughs in the floor for any kind of wiring.

Tack strip is supposed to be installed at least 1" away from the wall. This leaves lots of room for low voltage wires and makes it a lot easier to make changes at a later date.

QUOTE]

I agree on the first one. i would NEVER suggest putting ANYTHING under a carpet. I have seen a tiny piece of pad debris the size of a small raisin cause major problems. You install a $50-$150 a yard rug and have your customer walk over in her nylons after and stop and say..."i think i feel something here...im not sure but..." well....its NOT a fun time for the installer.

The second part, sorry to say, is not correct at all. The tackless strip is placed about a pencil thickness away from the material that the carpet gets tucked to (i.e. moulding). If a really thick carpet is being used you may want to go ever so slightly bigger but that is rare. Only other time you may back the tack up is if youre on a concrete floor (reasons i wont go into right now) This spot is reserved ONLY for the carpet and should NEVER EVER have any wires in that "groove"...EVER...period.

Not only that, but if you DID put them there (lets say you backed up the tackless a bit as to let wires run in there) During the stretch stage, i have seen these wires move out and up on the sharp nails. They can easily be cut.

if you insist on running wires along the wall under the carpet (away from traffic areas) at least run them on the INSIDE of the tackless (between the pad and the wood) and tape the entire wire down with duct tape. If you dont it couldnt ride up on the tackless easily.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: