Carpet over concrete floor

Old 03-04-00, 10:32 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I hope to replace the wall to wall carpet in my family room. The subfloor is concrete and can be hard and cold. I am considering installing a berber or a commercial grade carpet since the room is entered from the patio door and garage door and receives quite a bit of dirty foot traffic. What can I do to make this floor more comfortable while keeping it attractive?

Old 03-05-00, 12:51 AM
Visiting Guest
Me Too. I've taken the last 3 months looking into this and for what it's worth, skip the Berber. If it's a high traffic area, Berber won't hold up as well as a Nylon short pile and it's difficult to clean. Your home sounds like mine (entry from garage and patio) Try a dense level loop for a busy room. Do you have heavy furniture? If so, look for a carpet that has a high RETENTION rate so that if you move anything, the carpet will spring back. However, carpet is only as good as it's padding. DON'T buy re-bond. You'll know when you see it, re-bond is recycled padding (multicolored foam). I'm going with a medium density, seven-sixteenths of an inch thick of prime urethane. Have Fun choosing colors!

Old 03-05-00, 04:52 AM
Visiting Guest
EMCG:
MB is correct about the pad. This is the area which most people get cheap on. I would always buy the best pad I could get. A thick pad will take the cold out of the floor plus add years to your carpet. I do disagree that Burber is not the best. It is the way that the carpet is made that makes it last and burber has it. The only carpet tougher is that used in motel lobbies. Good Luck

------------------
Jack the Contractor

Old 03-06-00, 06:11 AM
Visiting Guest
As a professional carpet cleaner my advice would be to get the shortest, tightest nylon nap you can find. Both parties are correct about the underpad. My advice to people is to get the best pad available. Even if this means going down slightly in the quality of the carpet. Most people have a budget for carpeting a room and to stay within your budget, go up in underlay and down in carpet.

Do not under any circumstances do either of the following. Install light grey carpet. Or, put mats over the carpet in the entryway.

The light grey will reflect brown in the light spectrum as it wears. Your carpet might be clean, but will look dirty because of this light reflection condition.

The mats will either bleed their colour down to the carpet below or trap mointure that could cause the onset of mold and mildew.

Have the heavy traffic areas of your carpets cleaned at least twice per year and they will give you years of wonderful service.

Ted

Old 11-26-04, 08:55 PM
eplain
Visiting Guest
[QUOTE]Me Too. I've taken the last 3 months looking into this and for what it's worth, skip the Berber. If it's a high traffic area, Berber won't hold up as well as a Nylon short pile and it's difficult to clean. QUOTE]

I have to disagree.

Carpet was my life for MANY years. (im out of it now)
You cannot make a blanket statement like that about berber.
First of all, the term "berber" is misused, like the term "Champagne". Real champage is sparkling wine made in Champagne France, Berber though it IS commonly used today for meaning ALL "loop pile" carpet, is not correct. Not enough space here to go into what a true berber is and i dont want to bore you. Lets just assume you mean "Loop Pile" Carpet. Its is generally NOT hard to clean as you stated. However, if it is wool...YES! its near impossible. This is why you cant say this. There are many other examples of why you cant say this.

As a general rule...(for the home owner)

Cut piles ( Generally, all carpet is loop and then sheared at the top, why it is referred to as "cut pile") Are reserved for bedrooms, dining rooms, etc. They are generally more delicate.

"Loop piles" are great for high traffic areas, i.e. halls, stairs, and also for hard surfaces. A good dense pad (40 oz, felt or berber support if you can afford it) under a berber is GREAT for the basement. But you MUST pay attention to what the fiber is made of! Some swear by Olefin some swear by Wool. They are COMPLETELY different.

I happen to be a big fan of the very short, very dense twisted yarn, as it is clearly the best choice for long wear while giving you a less commercial look like the loop pile can give. But i would never rule out a berber for a basement...it is the most common and most practicle choice. Cleaning has a lot to do with fiber content NOT if its a loop pile rug or a cut pile.

Side note:

Some Carpet salesman are a step above or below (havent decided yet) use car salesmen (in my opinion) dont belive everyone you hear. Go talk to several, you will know after 3 or 4 people who is telling you what you need to know and who is trying to get rid of some roll stock

Ed

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: