carpet stain

Old 03-04-00, 10:31 AM
Visiting Guest
I have a watermelon size stain (believed to be Coke) on my offwhite carpeting in my den. Is there anything that will remove the stain, or do I need replace the carpet? Thanks.

Old 03-06-00, 05:02 AM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Coke stains are a pain in the butt to remove. It sounds like a full glass got spilled on the carpet. Problem is that the coke has gone down through the fiber, the backing, the underlay and has spread on the floor below. It's likely that the size of the "puddle" on the floor is much larger than the stain you see on the top of the carpet.

You'll need to flush out the foreigh material in the carpet. You can rent a "steam cleaner" from your local grocery or hardware store. You can clean the spot and be happy that it's gone. However, the next day, the "puddle" below will wick back to the surface of the carpet. I've known people that have had their carpets cleaned up to 6 times and the stain still comes back.

To eliminate the stain once and for all, you'll have to do the following. First, lift the carpet so you can find the stain on the underlay. Cut out the stain with a sharp shop knife. Make sure you remove enough underlay to get at all of the stain on the floor below. This could be as large as a 3' circle. Clean the floor and allow it to dry (overnight). Replace the underlay. Clean the back of the carpet to remove the spill from the backing. Leave it overnight to make sure it's completely dry. Clean the top of the carpet and leave overnight again to make sure you've removed all of the coke from the fibers. If the stain comes back, clean again and continue to do so till all of the coke has been removed.

Then replace the carpet. This could take up to a week to do. Stains like this tend to contain a lot of liquid and it takes patience to remove them.

If you don't feel you can do this on your own, call your insurance company. You may be covered for this type of accident. If you're not covered, a call to your local carpet cleaning company might be in order.

Good luck

Ted
(Professional carpet cleaner for 10 years)

------------------
Carpenter's rule:- Cut to fit - Beat into place :-)

Old 03-16-00, 07:59 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

Ted.......... I've been a carpet cleaner for 20 years and I've never heard of a professional carpet cleaner giving the advice that you have been giving out. I've removed thousands of coke spills & paint mishaps without cutting a customers carpet. That is something I would never dream of doing, because it is very unprofessional and unecessary. First of all even if I was to ever cut someone's carpet I would cut from the backing....YOU NEVER CUT CARPET FROM THE FACING!!!! Now .... wouldn't it be a little more professional to pull the carpet back then clean the stain from the backing, let it dry, then kick it back in. All of that would be a last resort effort, which is very rare. As for getting paint out of carpet, use a lot of paint remover and a truck-mounted cleaning system to extract loosened paint....which may take 1 or 2 hours to remove, but it can be done (I've done it!) if the customer is willing to pay for the extra effort that it would take to save their carpet. The average carpet cleaner wouldn't take the time to do this, instead they would just tell the customer they need a new carpet. I don't mean to sound like I know everything (because I don't), but I know from experience that these things aren't impossible and you don't have to damage someone's carpet to cure the problem. Please think twice before giving out this kind of advice. Treat people's carpets as if they were your own.!

Old 03-17-00, 03:06 PM
Visiting Guest
Well, Imdamtired whoever you are, I noticed you didn't have the guts to sign your insult. If you'll read my posting again, I didn't tell the customer to cut their carpet, I told them to remove the underlay.

I suggest you read more carefully the next time before you decide to slam someone.

I still stand by my original advice regardless of what you say. Does the term wicking mean anything to you?

Ted

Old 11-26-04, 08:19 PM
eplain
Visiting Guest
I didn't tell the customer to cut their carpet, I told them to remove the underlay.

Ted

though i tend not to agree with Ted 100% of the time, i AM a carpet man and anytime your carpet takes a hit like this you should lift the carpet immediately and take out the soaked pad. Of course this requires a re-install, but hey...thats the price you pay for spilling
That backing is usually a latex and its not easy to get that pad to dry through there. That being said, i am NOT a carpet cleaner, but i DO know that cleaning carpet is a "Catch 22". The worst thing for carpet is dirt, dirt HAS to come out. The next worse thing for carpet is heat and moister. They will break down the backing quickly. And a combination of the two is deadly. Unfortunately you must clean the rug somehow. Im well aware of all the other cleaning techniques out there today but please people...DONT soak your rug!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: