carpeting

Old 03-29-00, 04:25 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

we're putting in low pile jute back(no padding) what is the easiest and best way to do this?

Old 03-30-00, 06:17 AM
Visiting Guest
Why would you install carpeting without backing. The carpet will feel hard and will wear out faster.

You'll need tack strip, a sharp knife and a knee kicker to get the carpet into place. Pre-cut the carpet so it's about 1" too large all around. Start by lining the carpet up along the longest wall then adjust to fit the entire room. Once it's close, use your knife to trim the excess and make sure you mash the carped onto the tack strip to hold it in place.

If you don't use underpad, there will be a bump all around the room where the tack strip is.

Ted

Old 11-26-04, 09:28 PM
eplain
Visiting Guest
Why would you install carpeting without backing. The carpet will feel hard and will wear out faster.

You'll need tack strip, a sharp knife and a knee kicker to get the carpet into place. Pre-cut the carpet so it's about 1" too large all around. Start by lining the carpet up along the longest wall then adjust to fit the entire room. Once it's close, use your knife to trim the excess and make sure you mash the carped onto the tack strip to hold it in place.

If you don't use underpad, there will be a bump all around the room where the tack strip is.

Ted

i ask the same question??? WHY?

If youre not using pad, then just loose lay it.

Side note: Under normal installation, no need to "Mash" Ted. Carpet is stretched 2 ways (generally) you lock one side and stretch the carpet on the opposite walls tackless. The teeth are designed to stick like the teeth of a sharks mouth (in but no out! I HAVE on a few occasions had some nasty backings that barely hooked on the tackless and had to press it down a bit with my stair tool or something but...its rare, not a rule. In this case were no pad is there....ugh...who knows what they may need to do. Maybe the carpet will pop off the tack....who knows...In any case, DONT do it this way.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: