Iron Burn on Carpet

Old 04-27-00, 11:28 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Folks, this is a toughy...I live in an apartment and my lease is up in two months. Unfortunetaly, my roommate accidentally let the iron burn the carpet. The burn is in the shape of the iron and I don't know what to do. The carpet seems to be part of the rest of the carpet in the entire apartment, so I can't just replace the carpet in the one room. Do I kiss the security deposit goodbye, or can I do something?

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-28-00, 12:23 PM
Visiting Guest
If you have the same carpet in a closet, you can use a piece from there to patch the damage in the room.

Using a shop knife with a new blace, cut a piece out of the closet that is bigger than the iron mark. Make it 2" bigger all around.

Now, line up the fibers on the patch with the fibers on the main carpet. Rub your hand along the carpet and you'll see the carpet turn dark. Do the same with the patch. Once you have the fibers lined up, cut through the patch and the carpet below. This will make the patch piece exactly the same size as the hole in the carpet below. You can hot glue the patch into place and use a hair brush to blend in the edges of the patch.

Don't forget to put the burned piece back in the closet.

Ted

Old 04-28-00, 02:18 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thank you Ted, but I have a question: what do I do with the burn spot in the carpet? It's pretty noticable, so I'm not sure what purpose moving the burn around would serve.

thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: