Carpet Cleaning

Old 07-25-00, 11:40 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

We have DuPont Stainmaster carpet in our Great Room. This is about 12 years old and is in excellent shape except for one thing,Dirty,! I have had professional cleaning done and have rented a shampooer myself, why is it that this carpet won't come clean and stay clean. After cleaning, the carpet looks great, but after 2 to 3 days all the old stains and dirt bleed back through and in my opinion looks worse than before it was cleaned. Is there really any way to clean carpet so that it looks clean after 2 days. This was expensive carpet and I really don't want to put the money out to replace it, as I said, it is in excellent shape except for the dirt.
Thanks for any hints.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-00, 05:52 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

I'm certainly no carpet cleaning expert, but we have been using a carpet drycleaning treatment called "Host" for years with excellent results. Host is a treated sawdust (cedar, I think) that is sprinkled on the carpet, scrubbed into it with a dual-brush machine that rents with the cleaner, allowed to dry overnight, and then vacuumed up. It has spot cleaner that can be purchased with it, that should be used first. Look in the Yellow Pages. Good Luck!

Old 07-26-00, 12:53 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OldGuy:
I'm certainly no carpet cleaning expert, but we have been using a carpet drycleaning treatment called "Host" for years with excellent results. Host is a treated sawdust (cedar, I think) that is sprinkled on the carpet, scrubbed into it with a dual-brush machine that rents with the cleaner, allowed to dry overnight, and then vacuumed up. It has spot cleaner that can be purchased with it, that should be used first. Look in the Yellow Pages. Good Luck!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank You for the advice. I've never heard of "Host", but will look in yellow pages. Is it a regional product, Ilive in a suburb of Kansas City.
Memphisbelle049

Old 07-30-00, 12:32 PM
Visiting Guest
Red face

Sounds to me like the systems used to clean your carpet have left a lot of residue in the carpet. If you've had your carpets cleaned at least once a year, a professional carpet cleaning service should be able to get the carpet clean and not have the stains and dirt wick back up.

The problem with most do-it-yourself carpet cleaning machines is that they are operated by amatures, namely the home owner. The instructions included with the rented machines aren't specific enough and in 90% of the time, a great deal of shampoo residue is left in the carpet. This leaves the carpets sticky and re-soil very quickly.

All to often, people will call around for a quote on carpet cleaning and take the cheapest price. Guess what? They usually get their money's worth.

I'd call around again and explain your problem. The most thorough cleaning job will be done by a truck mounted "steam cleaning" machine. These employ very hot water and teriffic suction to remove most of the water used in the cleaning process. I'd employ a company that has been around for at least 10 years and has certified operators. This at least will get you someone that has been trained and will offer a guarantee on the quality of their job.

If your carpets are tired looking a couple of days after the cleaning, call them back. They will return to take care of your problem. Be honest with the technician that comes to your home. If he/she knows the situation, then, appropriate cleaning action can be taken.

Ted

Old 08-07-00, 01:08 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

One thing most people dont realize is that when you steam clean a carpet, any stain-resistant coating that the manufacturer put on (such as Stainmaster, etc.), will come off, and your carpet will no longer be stain-resistant. Most carpet cleaning companys offer to re-apply a stain resistant coating, and its a good idea to pay the extra money. This could be part of your problem, but wouldn't account for the stains re-appearing.

If you have severe staining all the way through to the floor, you might consider pulling the carpet up, sealing the floor with a stain sealer, and replacing the pad.