how do you install carpeting?

Old 10-25-05, 12:28 PM
easterndrywall
Visiting Guest
Smile how do you install carpeting?

We were going to install some carpetng in our den, and we were wondering if anyone has some tips on installation?Thank-you!

Old 10-25-05, 01:02 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,177 Likes on 1,135 Posts
How are you planning to install it - glue, tack strips,...?

If you are tacking it down, it must be stretched.

Old 10-25-05, 01:09 PM
easterndrywall
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by J.M.C.
How are you planning to install it - glue, tack strips,...?

If you are tacking it down, it must be stretched.
Tack strips, do you cut your carpet tight wall-to-wall when streching it?? Thank-you!

Old 10-25-05, 02:02 PM
S
Group Moderator
First things first - you have a power stretcher?

Old 10-25-05, 02:05 PM
easterndrywall
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by J.M.C.
First things first - you have a power stretcher?
no we have a knee-kicker

Old 10-25-05, 02:27 PM
S
Group Moderator
A power stretcher is the right tool for the job. I wouldn't attempt a carpet installation with a knee kicker.

Old 10-28-05, 10:21 AM
vinstrom
Visiting Guest
carpet installation

first off .. stretching it in??????// i have been an installer for most of my life and only use my power stretcher a very few times...mostly on huge rooms......so all depends the size of the room.. a knee kicker and a good knee will do the trick....
first get some tack strip and lay it out...small nails pointing towards the wall and nail this down about a 1/2 in to 3/4 inches from the edge of wall...lay down pad..tape/ glue the pad if on on concrete..pad will be cut to edge of tack strip...if on wood you can use a pad stapler to hold the pad from moving...pad should lay flat.....
once the pad and tack strip is down..then get the rug ..it should run about 3 inches up every wall...every wall..then kicking it in becomes the hard thing to explain...start at one corner and you will end up at the oppisite corner when rug is in...i could explain better in messenger...if you don;t know how to kick it in your best bet is too get a professional installer...let them know the pad is down and you just need the rug kicked in...should get it done cheap....message me if you need more help

Old 10-29-05, 03:40 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes a professional that uses a power stretcher. (must be used according to the CR105) I hate to see an alleged professional give bad advice.

Old 10-30-05, 02:37 AM
Your cheating your customers out of what they paid for, by riding that knee kicker. They paid for a properly installed carpet, which means in must be pole stretched to maintain the manufactures warranty, much less an installation warranty. As a Certified flooring failure inspector, I can honestly say, the kicker jockeys, are job security.

Riding a knee kicker will trash your body and put you into early retirement!

Please refer to CRI 104 & 105 for the required steps for installation to insure your carpet maintains its manufacturers warranty.

http://www.carpet-rug.org/drill_down...esttimeout=350

Old 10-30-05, 09:17 AM
Do you reccomend cutting edges and doorways after the stretch? I used a stretcher awhile ago and unfortunatly had already cut in two doorways. It moved my cuts by 2 inches. I'm a master at hiding my screwups so I recovered but I want to avoid this on the carpet I'm putting in next week.
Its a 30x12 room so I'm defintely using the stretcher.
(PS: its a rental place place so no one but me is getting ripped off by my hackiness)

Old 11-01-05, 06:29 PM
Seam a doorway before pulling away from it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: