Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Rugs, Carpets and Carpeting
Reload this Page >

Carpet Over Cement Slab Problems:Moisture in the Summer and Cold in the Winter

Old 11-03-05, 02:37 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our 150 year old carriage house is on a concrete slab that I would guess is over 30 years old. We have problems with humidity in the summer and suspect the slab is the primary reason for the moisture (and the fear of mold) in the house. I have been looking at (expensive!) sealers that will not only act as a moisture block but shield from radon as well.(Our initial radon test when looking to buy the house was high.)

On the other hand, in the winter the house feels dry, especially with the forced air heating...but the slab makes the house feel on the cold side.

We are preparing to put in new carpeting and want to address these issues now. Any opinions on sealers or any other ways to cut the humidity? Can a high quality padding help with the cold?

Mark Smith

Old 11-03-05, 05:30 PM
You could always paint the concrete with RedGard waterproofer, and use a good felt cushion to insulate.

Old 11-10-05, 08:46 AM
M
Thank you! This is my first time in the DIY forum...what a great service.

MSmith

Old 11-11-05, 09:23 AM
M
An additional question on RedGard...I am having trouble finding it. Although Home Depot is listed as a distributor, they are not stocking it. If I can't get HD or some other distributor to order it for me I was wondering if "Drylok" or the Behr waterproofer (that HD does stock) is comparable?

Thanaks again,
M Smith

Old 11-11-05, 08:24 PM
RedGard is a membrane not a coating. Home Depot's here carry it. It is popular right now, so stock may be getting bought in bulk.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: