Cutting and seaming berber carpet

Old 01-06-06, 02:39 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Cutting and seaming berber carpet

I'm installing berber carpet in my basement. I'm having a terrible time getting anywhere near an "invisible seam". I think my problem is in the methodology I am using to cut the carpet. I have tried two techniques: since it is loop-pile, the first technique has been to make a crease in the carpet and cut it with a utility knife, following the crease & making sure not to cut any loops. The second has been to set it up on a straight edge, and just cut away.

Well, for the first try, I cannot cut a straight-line freehanded. With the second, there are lots of frayed loops. Both lead to terrible-looking seams.

I consider myself an intermediate DIYer (I finished the rest of my basement except plumbing rough-in & service panel replacement).

Please help!?!?!?!?!

Old 01-07-06, 12:50 PM
G
they have a special tool for cutting berber carpet. It is called a carpet loop cutter. Home depot and lowes sell them I think they are around $10 - 15. you will probibly get a better cut with this. When I did it, it didnt come out perfect but I cut one egde straight and left the other one long. I put the straight edge over the long one and used this to cut along the edge of the striaght one. then used a carpet seamer to glue them together and they lined up pretty good and I could hardly see a seem. I don't know if this is exactly the right way to do it but it worked for me. I would try it on some scraps first to see if it works on your carpet

Old 01-07-06, 03:21 PM
T
Berber is a type of weave, not a type of carpet. Loop carpets need to be cut between the rows using a row cutter. Seams will require both seam tape and seam sealer to hold seam tight and to prevent unraveling of loops.

Old 01-08-06, 06:40 PM
You need one of these, It is called a cushion back cutter, or a top cutter, for slang.

Or one of these. It is called a loop pile cutter. It is not good for cutting seams over cushion. Only a hard surface, so the botth plate can slide freely without grabbing.

Use a knitting needle to run a row. A flat head screwdriver down into the row works sometimes, too. Then use the cushion back cutter, in the row you made. You can also pull a yarn as a run, and trim right close with shears, or the cushion back cutter.

Be sure to seam seal the edge, before putting the seam together, and you need one of these to get good transfer of the hot melt glue on the tape, into the backing of the carpet. It is a seam roller. it also blends the loops back together.

Old 01-13-06, 08:28 AM
M
Smile Thank you!

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will get to work this weekend & tried to get it all done. Thanks again!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: