seam repair help

Old 03-27-06, 06:44 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question seam repair help

Hi all. I want some advice about repairing a loose seam. There is a small length of seam around 10 inches in my basement that is loose. When I lift the carpet I see the glue on the tape was never really activated. The carpet has been down for over 2 1/2 years, it is in spot that used to be low traffic area so I never noticed before. I have little chance of getting this fixed by warranty. Iím hopeful I might heat it up, press down on the carpet and be done with this small project.

Here are my questions:

Can I use a regular iron or do I need to rent a seaming iron for such a small repair (as well Iím nervous about having to pull up the carpet to get the seaming iron underneath)?

Are there any tips or tricks you can share to help make this repair go easy?

Thanks for any and all advice with this.
Andy Frank

Old 03-28-06, 07:11 AM
It is not that easy.

If the seam iron will fit the loose spot, you may be able to do this. You may need an exrea set of hands, to open the carpet up to get the iron in and out, without getting thermoplastic, all over the face yarns.

Here in Texas, if it is not installed to standards in the first place, no installation warranty has started, and the installer is responsible for correction, at no cost to the consumer, no matter how much time has passed since installation. This keeps contractors from cutting corners during installations, because we have no contractor licensing, but many installers and consumers don't know about this law we have here.

Old 03-28-06, 10:21 AM
Carpets Done Wright (Perry Wright) said:
> It is not that easy.

I was afraid you were gonna say that.

Guess I will try my builder's customer care department (but won't hold my breath). Then I will consider renting a seam iron or hiring a pro.

Thanks for the information.

Old 03-28-06, 05:59 PM
D
If the edges touch use a hot glue gun.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: