Carpet on unfinished stairs

Old 04-05-06, 05:28 PM
H
hillbie
Visiting Guest
Carpet on unfinished stairs

We are finishing a project that includes getting our unfinished stairs ready for carpet. The entire tread will be carpet. We will not be installing the carpet. We are unsure if we need to put rounded bullnose on the end of the treads. The treads are plywood that hang over the frame of the stairs. The stairs have an open side so there will skirtboard on one side, so we need to put some sort of edge on that side too. I have seen photos are people putting carpet on stairs that don't have anything on the edge...it's just square. I would think that eventually the padding could get cut. I have also searched the internet and see that stair nose is available in different materials, I'm not sure these apply. If we need to put on rounded bullnose, how is that done and what should the material be?
Thanks
Hillary

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-06, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I dont understand ...
You say the stairs are open in one or both the sides and if its that you can just use a runner kinda ..by that I mean bind the carpet in that one side as for as you want all the way to the edge or even about 2 " in from ledge depending on what yuo like...

ps square nose wont make much of a different ...

If you wont and the nose is long enough you can just sand it down to give it a little smothere edge

Old 04-05-06, 07:10 PM
H
hillbie
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Hyenax
I dont understand ...
You say the stairs are open in one or both the sides and if its that you can just use a runner kinda ..by that I mean bind the carpet in that one side as for as you want all the way to the edge or even about 2 " in from ledge depending on what yuo like...

ps square nose wont make much of a different ...

If you wont and the nose is long enough you can just sand it down to give it a little smothere edge
The stairs are open on 1 side and against a wall on the other. Right now the stair tread hangs over the frame about an inch in the front and it's flush on the side that's going to have a stair rail and it's open. So we definately need to put something on the outside of the thread or the carpet won't look right. We can't just do a runner because it is open on the one side. It needs a proper wrapped finish on the outside next to the skirt.

I don't know what you mean by "square nose won't make much of a difference"....what the proper way to run the carpet up the stairs?

Thanks
Hillary

Old 04-05-06, 08:33 PM
http://www.instabind.com/

that should do it as example look at the video and you'll know what i mean

Old 04-06-06, 05:30 AM
Stairs are the most unforgiving aspect of a carpet installation. You might want to let a professional handle it.

Of all flooring, carpet is the hardest to make look decent.

Old 04-06-06, 08:28 AM
H
hillbie
Visiting Guest
thread moving in wrong direction

This thread is moving in the wrong direction. It's moved into carpet installation. Although the instabind is a nice product, we won't be installing carpet.

We want to finish the stairs properly so the carpet installation is appropriate and long lasting. We want things done "the right way." Even though we are do it yourselfers, we do things right. No short cuts. And we have ALL the tools to do it.

I had a carpet rep measure (not an installer). He told me a bullnose goes on the outside of the stair that the carpet wraps around, but he didn't say anything about the tread. He didn't say it was round. My husband assumed it was. I'm not so sure based on my research.

I also had several stair installers, who don't know how the stairs need to be finished for carpet. They say, find out from your carpet company how they want it finished.

I wrote hear to get opinions from others on how to finish the stairs so they are ready for carpet. We don't trust anyone...some professionals today just seem to give the easy fix. Years later you find out..."oh that's the lazy way out...it should have been done this way."

Thanks
Hillary

Old 04-06-06, 08:47 AM
T
Smile Preparing for carpeting on stairs.

Funny the way we tend to get off topic.

You mentioned that the stairs are plywood. This leaves a sharp edge that is prone to splintering. Keep in mind that when we walk down a flight of stairs, our feet tend to roll off the front edge of the stair. If the edge is sharp, the carpeting will wear prematurely.

I suggest you purchase actual hardwood stair treads. These are quite thick and have a rounded over front edge.

The better the base, the better the finished job.

Hope this helps.

Ted

Old 04-06-06, 05:44 PM
I'd have to see them in person, on site to consult you about prepping the steps for carpet installation.

Old 04-06-06, 06:22 PM
H
hillbie
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Carpets Done Wright
I'd have to see them in person, on site to consult you about prepping the steps for carpet installation.
Obviously you can't do that.....if you have an interest I'd be happy to provide photos. Can I do that here? Or via email?

I spoke to the same guy that came here to measure. He said his installer uses 1" X 2 " with a squared edge for the side of the step tread that's open for the carpet to wrap around. His installer doesn't use anything on the front of the tread. He's bringing me a piece of it tomorrow to see.

Old 04-06-06, 10:37 PM
oops I did miss understood the question and I do agree with Ted go out and get some nose rounded treads ...to replace old ones

Old 04-07-06, 08:55 AM
H
hillbie
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Hyenax
oops I did miss understood the question and I do agree with Ted go out and get some nose rounded treads ...to replace old ones
That's not practicle. The treads are nailed and glued with construction adhesive. In addition, several are bolted down where the metal railing is attached. There is also drywall that would get all messed up on the one open side.

My husband said he will use a router if round edges are needed.

So the burning question is.....Should the treads have rounded edges?

Hillary

Old 04-07-06, 04:11 PM
If your padding and carpeting, then rounding the nose of the tread is advisible. The sharp 90 edge will eventually cut through the padding and the carpet, from foot traffic.

Another trick, is to run a piece of duct tape on top of padding right where it turns over the edge of the tread, to take the brunt of the foot traffic.

Old 04-07-06, 06:00 PM
H
hillbie
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Carpets Done Wright
Another trick, is to run a piece of duct tape on top of padding right where it turns over the edge of the tread, to take the brunt of the foot traffic.

I've read about this trick. Maybe we'll do both.

Thanks
Hillary