New carpet and baseboards...which to do first?

Old 04-15-06, 08:12 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New carpet and baseboards...which to do first?

Soon, I will be replacing my carpeting and baseboard moulding, and am not sure if I should put the carpet in first, or the baseboard. The reason I ask, is that in my previous home, I put in new varnished oak baseboards before the carpet, and the carpet installers' equipment left tons of small vertical scratches in my baseboard! I had to go over every inch of the baseboard and touch it up with a little stain pen. What a pain! I don't know if that is to be expected, or if it was faulty equipment of installation. So, what do the experts out there sugggest? I plan to buy 3/8" x 2 1/4" pre-primed MDF baseboard. Right now I'm leaning towards installing the pre-primed baseboard, then getting the carpet installed, and then painting the baseboard with the top coat (white). Thanks for all your help.

Old 04-17-06, 03:35 PM
D
Base goes on first, 1/4" off the floor. MDF is a poor choice of material for baseboard. merely bumping it with anything will cause pieces to fall off, especially on outside corners. Even pine would be better. You won't be happy with MDF.

Old 04-17-06, 06:02 PM
You can keep tackstrip away from wall the 1/4 + the thikness of molding and after the carpet is in you can install the molding over it ...
When you install the molding press it against wall+floor and you will be ok
I have done it tons of times looks good no scracthes.
Remember carpet its suppost to go under molding either way ..
In new constructions people do that first couse usually same people do trims and doors...
thats why ...

Old 04-17-06, 07:02 PM
T
Ok, sounds like I got one vote for baseboards first, and one vote for carpet first. I guess that means its a toss up as to which way is better. Still puzzled about all those little vertical scratches in my baseboard at my last place. Is that something to be expected, or was that just carelessness on the part of the installers?

Old 04-17-06, 07:06 PM
you will have scratche no matter what you do when you install carpet after..
I dont know if you have ever seeing somebody install carpet
They hold and tack the carpet on the tack strip by the base...
No matter how carefull you are you are going to have scratches I even tried to tape the all base out but some carpet backing its so stiff that stilll would scratch the base ...
If you want to install carpet first at least by some soft backing carpet...
YOu might get away with that but in any other circumstances .......no way sorry ......

Old 04-17-06, 08:58 PM
D
Trapping the carpet under MDF base isn't good either. The base will fall apart, litterally, should you have to remove the carpet for any reason. MDF base is a one shot deal. If you need to remove it to replace the carpet, have new base ready to go back on. Mouldings should outlast carpet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: