Orange marks/plush carpet

Old 04-28-06, 05:35 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Orange marks/plush carpet

I was asked to clean a plush carpet, the color was a light tan, when I look at it... it didnt need a clean other then spot cleaning and a professional vacuum( vacuumed 4 diffrent directions) which I addvised the lady, but she wont a steam clean. I ph test the carpet wich was normal( new carpet) so I vacumed it then spot cleaned it, then I sprayed a low ph chemical(ph-8) and steam clean it. I had to pay some attention to a red cordial stain( I think it might be called kool-aid in American terms) where this lady used everything under the sun to try to get this stain out.I removed a bit of the stain but their was a orang'ie color still there... which we agree that the stain was to far gone. A few weeks later a get a phone call, where their was orange stains comming up everwhere in the rooms of the carpet, I went and had a look and ph tested the stains, but there were at a safe level at ph-7, these stains have got me beat. Has anyone got a clue what these could be, the lady said that nothing has been spilt and these orange stains came up after I cleaned.

Old 04-28-06, 06:35 PM
T
...this lady used everything under the sun to try to get this stain out. I removed a bit of the stain but their was a orang'ie color still there... which we agree that the stain was to far gone.

Stains in carpets can be stains caused by food and drink spills or pet messes. Other stains can be chemical stains caused by chemicals or household products that change or remove dye. This process may take days, weeks, or months. Medicines, especially acne medication, some cosmetics, household bleaches, plant food and fertilizers, insecticides, and some common commercial carpet spotter products ("oxy" tends to appear somewhere on the label in an ingredient or two) can cause stains or spots on carpets.

Benzoyl peroxide in acne medication is well known for its effects on carpet dye, and it also occurs in foot creams, age spot fade creams, and some pet shampoos. The effects of benzoyl peroxide may appear as long as many months later and the spill or accident long forgotten. There may be no visible effects until the carpet becomes moist, as when the carpet is cleaned. Spots are yellow to orange on most carpet, but pinkish on blue carpet. If stains are more yellow in center and more orange toward the edge as in a halo, this is a true indication of benzoyl peroxide damage.

Oxygenating bleaches (These are peroxides.), as in the oxy-whatever products, will affect carpet dye. They are just slower than the stronger, faster acting chlorine bleach.

As little as 1% hydrochloric acid can cause orange spots in carpet. Stomach acid in vomit is about 10%. Strong alkaline products like drain cleaners and lye can cause color loss. Urine from pets and children can cause color loss.

Too, a combination of improper cleaning products can cause reactions that affect dye. It tends to be a matter of the chemicals, environmental conditions, and unstable carpet dye (if not solution dyed while in molten state.)

If stains are spills, they appear to have settled into fibers and out across them. If stains were tracked, they tend to appear only on tips of fibers.

The customer called several weeks later with reports of color loss. It is possible that these occurred secondary to some spotting solution or spill that occurred after you cleaned the carpet, because they were not evident when you were there.

It is possible that the homeowner spilled whatever she was using to clean the red stain elsewhere on the carpet and that the dye was already affected, as evidenced by the 'orange' of the red stain she tried to clean. Then, when you cleaned the carpet with your wet, slightly alkaline (pH 8) cleaning solution, and unbeknownst to you triggered the color loss despite your pH testing and precautions that a certified carpet professional would do.

Remember, depending on the chemical, color loss can be immediate or take days, weeks, or months! It is not uncommon for the carpet cleaner to be blamed for color loss because heat and humidity of the cleaning process can expedite the chemical reaction of chemicals already in the carpet or release the dye.

If in doubt, contact the Carpet Rug Institute.

Old 04-29-06, 01:13 PM
She has most likely used a HOST type cleaner on it at one time. We have one here called "Capture" Sprinkle on. Brush in and vacuum up the spot. Thing is, the media used to capture the stain to lift it for vacuuming is ground corn cobs. The spot looks fine, until it gets wet in any way. Then an yellowy orangy, wicks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: