question for all carpet installers

Old 07-10-06, 06:38 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
question for all carpet installers

i have been installing carpet for about 5 yrs now .....and was wondring if any of you have used Crains No.298 "top cutter" it's the one you are supposed to be able and double cut plush carpet from the top without cutting the yarn i would like to try one but hate to spend the 80 or so dollars to see how it works.....Thanks

Old 07-11-06, 07:50 PM
Thumbs up for best seams

First off, I'd like to commend you, for finding better ways to install. I've been installing on and off for over 30yrs and am always on the lookout for a better way.
As far as the crane cutter goes, there is no way a cutting tool will cut 2 without slicing the pile at some point. The best way I've found of doing my seams, is by finding the row with either a flathead screwdriver or a knitting needle. It ususally gives me invisible seams. Use any make of seam cutter to make your seam cuts. I also only use a slotted knife for cutting any seams. It's the sharpest blade and makes clean cuts, just watch your fingers.
Another tip I have, is put a piece of carpet upside down over your iron, it will keep the back of the carpet cool when you apply it to the melted tape and avoids any distortion in the material.
Good luck my brother!

Old 07-12-06, 01:56 PM
Double cutting would be my last weapon in my arsenal!

Trace cutting is far better, but best of all is row cutting both sides, maintaining the gauge between the rows.

I use either a Crain rowing awl, or a Taylor row finder, kicker pick tool. On commercial level loop I use a pocket comb to find the row. Always seam seal your cut seam edges!!!

Old 07-13-06, 05:35 PM
D
I never used one, don't see the need for a tool to do the same thing that a knife can do. Interestong tool though.

http://www.craintools.com/pages/more...98_morefs.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: