Tired of stepping on tacks

Old 07-28-06, 02:32 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tired of stepping on tacks

I just moved into a brand-new home two weeks ago. I'm already tired of stepping on the tacks that poke through the carpet at the transitions between carpet (berber) and ceramic tile. There are lots of these transitions--7, if I'm remembering them all right now. All but one are doorways (some with doors, some without). On our first floor, everything's laid over concrete. On the second floor, it's over the wood subfloor.

Since I've experienced this in other people's homes (our previous homes all had hardwood, no carpet), I'm assuming it's not a warranty issue that I can take up with the builder. (Or is it?) But what can I do about it? Is there some way to install a threshold over the tack strip? It's really painful when I step on these things barefoot, and I've got three little kids who run around barefoot as well. I'd also rather not end up with bloodstains on the carpet from punctured feet!

Thanks for any help!

sangenuer
(new here)

Old 07-28-06, 02:49 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
sangenuer, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
I am not a carpet installer but I believe they make different tack strips for different types (thicknesses) of carpet. This is indeed a Contractor issue. Good luck.

Old 07-28-06, 05:30 PM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Welcome sangenuer

Not a pro either, but I agree with majakdragon. You may not want to try anything right now on your own. Call the builder first.

Old 07-28-06, 06:45 PM
try tapping the pins with a hammer...gently. it should work

Old 07-28-06, 07:48 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 261 Upvotes on 240 Posts
Actually, the way the carpet installers finish those tacks (when they do it right) is they take the edge of their tucking chisel, or the side of a hammer head and rake it across the tacks. This curls the sharp points over, both locking the tacks onto the carpet, and dulling them so that they don't poke your feet through the carpet.

Old 07-29-06, 09:07 AM
S
Thanks for all the quick responses! I will bring it up with the builder at our 45 day walk-through in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know what they say!

Old 07-30-06, 09:30 PM
B
The installers should have tapped the spikes forward/down like MrRonFL said.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: