New Carpet - need advice, bleachable carpet ???

Old 09-08-06, 10:40 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Carpet - need advice, bleachable carpet ???

I am on a mission to find new carpet. I have been living in a house for 14 years and have hated the carpet. It was almost new but the color was not what I wanted. I am finally going to get new carpet. The problem is I don't know where to start.

I have teenage girls, that means makeup will be dropped or spilled in their bedrooms. I also have dogs, we average only 3 accidents a year, but it is still urine in my carpet/pad. We also have carpet on the stairs, this is the only worn area of my old carpet.

My questions are:

- I have heard about carpet that can be bleached. Sounds too good to be true, if it cleans that easily what is that bad part of this product?

- Someone recommended padding with a vapor barrier. Any idea what company makes that?

- I grew up with shag rugs, yes we had a rake to groom it. I don't want a really flat carpet. I want something soft on my feet without the rake. Any thoughts?

Any reccomendations in general about how to select carpet would be greatly appreciated.

Thx

Old 09-08-06, 11:49 AM
T
You might want to begin your research at the Carpet-Rug Institute's (CRI) website at www.carpet-rug.com to learn more about carpet.

The CRI does not recommend cleaning carpet with chlorine bleach or the oxy-whatever oxygenating bleaches because they will weaken fibers and take a toll on dyes over time if not immediately. Solution dyed nylon, where color is added when fibers are in molten state, will not suffer color loss from the occasional splash of bleach or drop of benzoyl peroxide for teen acne. Polypropylene, which is plastic, is marketed as olefin carpet. It is stain, fade, and moisture resistant. Color is added when it is in the molten state. And, yes, it is marketed as a carpet that can be cleaned with bleach. It is frequently used in berber style carpets. A downside is that over time it tends to crush.

Mohawk has recently released a new carpet which they claim is revolutionary because it is made from a polymer derived from corn. SmartStrand with DuPont Sorona polymer and is touted to be softer than nylon, have built in stain resistant that will not wash or wear off, and is very durable.

There are several manufacturers of carpet cushion with double vapor retarders. A reputable and knowledgeable carpet retailer should be able to special order this from his cushion vendor.

If you like the look of shag carpet, then you can go with frieze carpeting. (Mohawk offers this as do some other manufacturers.) The twists (the more the better) are permanently set and there is no raking involved. A top-quality frieze manufactured with Dupont fibers is recommended.

If you visit the CRI's website, you can learn more about carpet and cushion selection and cleaning and maintenance.

Old 09-08-06, 05:27 PM
N
We had Mohawk frieze installed 3 months ago and LOVE IT!
It does take a little getting use to, but so far it wears and vacuumes well.
This style seems to be getting very popular as it was everywhere in the showeroom.
Our carpet is 40 oz. frieze. I was told that the more weight the better the carpet. It was about $26/yd installed.
Our dealer suggested we go with the 10lb pad that had that plastic layer on top to protect against our pets and kids. I'd tell you to always go with the best pad you can afford. Our pad was bright red due to that extra coating and makes our carpet feel like a million bucks!

Good luck.
ps...look at the reminants section at the store. You get generic colors, but can see a huge savings if you find something you like...like $9/yd!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: