How to seam a 4" pattern repeat? Help please?

Old 10-08-06, 05:14 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question How to seam a 4" pattern repeat? Help please?

Hi

I am going to install two 12 x 28 pieces of jute back and glue it to cement. It has a 4 inch pattern repeat. Do i square it off on the pattens i need, determined by room size, and then use a chalk line and carpet bar to cut both pieces individually? Then when you put seam sealer on it do you do it on top of both pieces and let it absorb or on the edges as you go? Been a while since i did this and thought i'd better ask. I did it twice before, and one was a pattern and the other not, and one i did an overlay cut, but i don't think i want to do that.

If you can help?
Thanks in advance

Old 10-11-06, 08:44 PM
Row cut it, count rows to the pattern repeat and row cut the other side. Go to CrainTools.com and look for there rowing awl and the cushionback cutter. Run a row down the guage, and use the cushionback cutter to follow and cut the row.

Once one side of the seam is laid into the glue, a bead of seam sealer is run right along the backing edge all the way down and the the other side of the seam is laid into the glue, and bumped tight with a knee kicker and rolled hard with a seam roller. You going to need a stretcher if there is the usual pattern run off or elongation.

Old 10-11-06, 09:20 PM
C
Smile how to seam 4" pattern repeat?

Thanks
i suppose i was looking right at it, but could not see the rowing awl, or is it one in the same with the cushuonback cutter, then the gauge is part of one of these?

thanks

Last edited by centerfield; 10-11-06 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-14-06, 08:50 PM
C
Angry How to seam a 4 " pattern repeat? Help please?

Originally Posted by Carpets Done Wright
Row cut it, count rows to the pattern repeat and row cut the other side. Go to CrainTools.com and look for there rowing awl and the cushionback cutter. Run a row down the guage, and use the cushionback cutter to follow and cut the row.

Once one side of the seam is laid into the glue, a bead of seam sealer is run right along the backing edge all the way down and the the other side of the seam is laid into the glue, and bumped tight with a knee kicker and rolled hard with a seam roller. You going to need a stretcher if there is the usual pattern run off or elongation.
I hired an installer to do this as i was short of time, , i guess i should have done it. When i came back late in the day, he had it mostly glued down, except for a small corner and all cut in, and there are waves in the carpet-"high spots", i got down on the carpet and started pushing it out to show him what was the matter, and glue was coming up through on my hands as i moved the carpet, and i could feel it on my knees. I told him he need roll it out, he said they never did that, they just laid it in motels and people started walking on it. I showed my son in law who with my daughter and 3 grand children are renting the house now , the next day yet, how i could still move the carpet, and glue was still coming up 12 hours later. The installer said my floor wasn't level,and it is, and what i took up, had no waves in it. This was a jute back 26 ounce 4" pattern repeat. What now?

thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: