Carpeting on Hardwood floors

Old 11-01-06, 04:41 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Carpeting on Hardwood floors

We are in the process of buying a house with beautiful hardwood floors in every room. However we would like to install carpet in family room and kids bed rooms. Please advise on the best way to install carpet without damaging the hardwood floor.

Thanks,
Pratap

Old 11-03-06, 09:56 AM
look into Legato carpet tiles.

Old 11-03-06, 06:44 PM
T
If you want typical carpeting - the tack strips around the perimeter of the room are going to require nailing to the hardwood. I'm not aware of another method that won't damage your hardwood. It's not as bad as you might think though - I'm currently removing carpeting through an old house with original wooden floors - and the holes from the tack strips are small, and with a little putty, not noticeable. More of an issue is the number of staples the carpet pad installer used to put the pad down. I had to remove hundreds of them from each room... pure overkill on his part.

Have you considered large area rugs instead? Seems a shame to hide something as beautiful as a wood floor.

Old 11-03-06, 07:35 PM
Lightbulb Carpet on Hardwood floors

Well, if you really want wall to wall carpeting that bad, there is no way that I know of getting out of the wooden strips that go around the perimeter of the floor. This just has to be done in order for the carpet to be stretched and to hold.

As for the padding, the majority of carpet installers will staple the padding to the floor. Yes, ALL OVER THE FLOOR.

I have used STRONG DOUBLE-FACED TAPE instead of staples for the padding. It worked fine. Just make sure you tell the installer in advance. He might whine and complain about he doesn't want to be responsible for anything that goes wrong with it,.........might say it will not work and so on.

It worked for me plenty of times. Then again, the final decision is yours.

Old 11-03-06, 07:38 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Those Legato carpet tiles are a handy concept. A couple little peel and stick tabs to hold the tiles in place and you are off and running with your installation. Handy, too, if a section becomes stained or damaged, simply pull out the affected tile and replace with new. Pull them all out if its time to put the house on the market and show the hardwood floors for increased sales value. You should be able to find them at one of your big box home centers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: