can an amateur carpet 6 stairs?

Old 11-09-06, 02:50 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We have 6 stairs that leads from garage to kitchen, currently carpeted. An installer told us it would cost from $600-$1400 labor alone to re-carpet the stairs, EXcluding material! Given that price we are considering ripping out the rug ourselves, purchasing some commercial type carpet using the old carpet as a pattern and installing it ourselves. Even if we made some errors with the first attempt, we figure we could go buy more for another try. Are there any pitfalls to this? I assume there are those tiny nails at the base of each step that holds the carpet in place. One scale of 1-10, how hard would this be?

Old 11-09-06, 03:48 PM
T
Wow - If you meant 6 steps, you're getting ripped. The carpet installers just left (by coincidence) my house after doing the master bedroom, 4 closets, stairway landing, and 18 steps. Total for labor was $575. Granted, all the old carpet/padding had been removed for them by me.

Carpeting stairways is not difficult - nor out of the realm of the diy'er. You might not get quite as tight a job as a professional with the tools/experience, but probably totally adaquate. I've done steps before with little more than nails/hammer/stapler/flat bladed chisel and had them come out looking as good as the original professionally done steps.

Not only that, when you do steps, you don't need a single piece of carpet to run from top to bottom - The carpeting I just had professionally installed was put on the steps piece by piece, tucking under the tack strip on each riser. Mess one up, you're only out a couple of feet of material.

When it comes to carpeting a room, on the other hand, I'll leave it to the pros with the proper tools/expertise.

Old 11-09-06, 04:13 PM
S
I'm a professional carpet installer and I agree, it's not that tough and that was probably an "I don't want the job" price. That's outrageous for six steps in a normal house. If you decide to tackle it, I'd be happy to talk you through it.

Old 11-09-06, 08:29 PM
A

Yes I said 6 stairs--each has a 7" rise and is 43" in length. I am greatly encouraged by your input and if I tackle this job (after the holidays) I may call on you Smokey49!--thanks for the offer. I had never thought to carpet each step separately--great idea. Also the person who had all that carpeting put in for $575 got a deal--you didn't mention square footable but around here they're quoting anywhere from $5.50+ for installation excluding removal, pad, etc. per square feet. Thanks for the input.

Old 11-10-06, 08:16 AM
S
I just relocated, but in the area I just moved from the going rate was six per yard to install, one per yard for tear out, one for furniture r and r, and six to ten per step depending on the construction of the step. Even doing the stuff for a living, I don't see how most folks can afford it. Good for me they seem to.

Old 11-10-06, 09:39 AM
A

$6 per yard??? It is 5+ per SQUARE FOOT to install around here for wood or tile; I don't know the price for carpet but I think it is then priced per square yard, why I don't know. I think your price for stairs is very fair.

Old 11-10-06, 10:43 AM
S
Sq. yard pricing was the norm there on carpet and sq. ft. on everything else. I think there's a movement afoot to standardize it all everywhere, but it hadn't gotten there yet. I've noticed the stores around here are all by the sq. ft. for carpet also. I could be wrong, but if you do the math, (nine sq. ft. per sq. yd.), it looks like they can get away with a little higher prices because, even with a bit higher price by the sq. ft., carpet often looks better in price than the rest.

Old 11-20-06, 11:20 AM
C
I just got a qoutes for installation on a small project (~30-35 yds, including 13 stairs) This is a basement, cement floor and drilling tack strips. The first wanted $600 (~$20 yd). So I got a second opinion and the second price was $200 (~$6.50 yd). They both were referals from friends. I'll get the $200 guy to do it and probably give him a good tip if he does a nice job.

Old 11-20-06, 01:57 PM
S
Be cautious. Cheaper is not always better, especially with that wide a difference. Find out what each bid provides and how the work will be done. There may be issues the first bidder saw that the second didn't or left as an add on at the end and you may end up paying the same thing for both in the long run. You may also end up with problems down the road over corners cut with the lower bid. With a price difference of a buck or two, the lower bid is usually safe, but with a difference as great as you're talking about, the bells go off and flags go up for me. I've seen lots of carpet installs that had to be redone soon after installation due to shoddy workmanship. There are too many corners that can be cut but shouldn't in carpet work and folks can be taken to the cleaners easily by an unscrupulous installer.

Old 11-22-06, 03:24 PM
Very well said Smokey.

The first guy may have seen a small job, but realised his business sense, and saw it would blow his whole day for a ½ days work. So he basically gave you a daily rate and not broken down into a per sq.ft rate.

I agree the first guy saw something the second guy is totally missing, or he is not running a profitable business, and only working for a wage, like he was employeed, because he doesn't have any business sense.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: