Wet Carpets

Old 12-20-06, 07:02 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wet Carpets

I just moved into a new house this weekend, and the toilet in the master bedroom, overflowed for about a half hour before anyone noticed. I have a steamer/cleaner which I got up as much of the water as I could... but now I am placing fans, and there is a musty odor in the room. Any help of how to get rid of the odor and get the carpets dry quicker? Please help... Thanks, Jackie

Old 12-20-06, 07:33 AM
Wink

Pull some of the carpet up . So that fans can blow under the rug and get air to the pad. This helps dry it out faster

Old 12-20-06, 11:26 AM
S
The key is to get lots of air moving. If you just do fans on the top, the floor under the pad will start to sour and stink and eventually grow things you don't want growing. Pull the carpet back, as in uninstall, until you get past the wet area. You'll be surprised at how much water is still under it, trapped in and under the pad. Pull up and discard the wet pad. Pad, once it gets a good soaking, tends to grow things and isn't worth the savings to try salvaging it. Mop up as much water as you can to dry the floor as much as possible. Then find things that don't rust or won't stain such as plastic milk crates, plastic lawn chairs, and so on. spread them evenly throughout the effected area and then pull the wet carpet over them. The idea is to create an air pocket between the carpet and the floor by suspending it from all this stuff. It'll be a bit of a rodeo, but persistence pays off in the end. Then get fans under the carpet, into the air gap you've just created. This gets air moving across the sub floor surface and up through the weave of the carpet and drys it out fairly quickly. Additional fans above the carpet will help carry the moisture away from the drying carpet. Once everything is dry, there are anti-microbial sprays you can apply to the floor and carpet to deal with any unwanted guests who may have moved in during the process. At this point, you'll need to get an installer to reinstall it or ask lots of questions and do it your self.

Old 12-20-06, 01:30 PM
T
Running dehumidifier along with fans will help expedite drying. Fans circulate air. Dehumidifier helps remove moisture from air as it evaporates from carpet. Do not install new cushion and reinstall carpet until subfloor is thoroughly dry. Even though it may feel and look dry, there is still moisture in the wood. Surfaces and fibers that remain wet 24-48 hours tend to produce mold/mildew and associated odors. Expedite drying and disinfect to prevent mold & mildew.

Old 12-20-06, 08:33 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
You've been given excellent advice here, now act on it quickly!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: