Taking up basement carpet, solvent recommendations?

Old 12-23-06, 05:06 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Taking up basement carpet, solvent recommendations?

The carpet itself came up easily enough, remaining is the rubber backing attached to the floor with an adhesive of some kind, probably decades ago.
I have a long handle scraper, but it's a rough one, will take quite a while, is there a solvent of some kind that would make it easier?

Old 12-23-06, 05:13 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Heat gun may help with scraping off residue. What type of new floor covering are you going to install? Depending on type of new floor covering, strippers and solvents may cause adhesion problems.

Old 12-23-06, 06:43 PM
J
We're just going to paint it, if I have to tough it out I can, just wondering if there's something off the shelf at HD that can make it easier, scraping it will take while, and there'll still be some rubber left that will interfere with the paint, I'd think.

Old 12-23-06, 08:38 PM
S
There is supposed to be a product out there that claims to be able to loosen the adhesive holding down glued down carpet. I've been solicited by reps to try it, but never did and I can't remember who makes it. So far as I know. it may not have gotten off the ground, but then again it may have. If you have a Big "D" installation materials supply house anywhere near you, give them a call. They may be able to help. I never used the stuff because it sounded pretty toxic to me, but then that's just me. I've always used a four inch razor scraper and lots of elbow grease. You may also be able to find out what it is or if it's even available from a good floor coverings store. I'm not sure any of the big boxes will be of any help, but it may be worth a try.

Old 12-23-06, 08:46 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Mineral spirits will work. Just make sure you have adequate ventilation.

Old 12-24-06, 06:24 AM
J
Thanks for the replies, I have a 4" long handle scraper that works well, except it's gonna take a while to do the whole area without some help.

Old 12-24-06, 06:29 AM
Originally Posted by jbphburg
Thanks for the replies, I have a 4" long handle scraper that works well, except it's gonna take a while to do the whole area without some help.

That's the tool!!!

Chemicals, will prohibit a good bond of the new coating.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: