doorway

Old 12-24-06, 01:16 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
doorway

The carpet has recently buckled or seems too loose at the doorway. I can see where the sections are joined. Can I cut at this line the cut away the excess and put some tape under to perform this fix? Advice appreciated.

Old 12-24-06, 01:49 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm trying to decipher your question. If I read it correctly, your carpet has developed looseness in a doorway and you're wanting to know how to remove the excess. You can see the joint where the two pieces of carpet from room to room are seamed together. Assuming this is an accurate interpretation, the tape will be a very temporary fix. Doorways are normally high traffic areas and tape will not do the job very long. If you have no access to a seaming iron or the experience to use one, one option would be to top sew it with a heavy curved canvas needle and heavy waxed thread similar to what's used in canvas work. This kind of looseness is normally indicative of greater issues however and again, this may be a fairly temporary fix. I'd suggest having a professional take a look at the problem and let you know if you've got other issues causing the looseness.

Old 12-24-06, 02:40 PM
P
loose carpet

Thank you for your advice which I will follow -the needle and thread sound good -my neighbor does carpets so he must have that iron -I'll check his worth as a neighbor.

Old 12-24-06, 02:49 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It's best to avoid carpet seams in doorways where there is a lot of traffic and carpet movement. Too, the cushion tends to pack down from traffic and leaves carpet to move around and seam to work loose.

Carpet seam tape and iron can repair the seam. Cutting of carpet should not be necessary. If cushion is worn, this is an opportunity to peel the carpet back, cut out affected area, and tape in new section before repairing the seam. Carpet pros also use seam seal to join carpet seams in order to provide an additional bond. Type of carpet can also be a factor. With berber, a 6" carpet seam tape is used. Rather than sewing carpets together, a hot glue gun may do the trick after using the tape and carpet iron. Avoid overheating the iron.

Old 12-24-06, 04:00 PM
P
doorway

If I have this right the problem is the traffic in the doorway resulting in moving the pad around. This can be repaired by opening the seam, fixing the pad then reseaming. I think you are saying not to use carpet tape w/o heat but to use special tape that an iron is necessary for. The ironing part seems like a job for a pro. Thank you

Old 12-24-06, 04:19 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Pros use carpet seam tape and carpet iron which supplies the heat.

Old 12-24-06, 10:24 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you aren't experienced with a seaming iron, a door way repair may not be the place to learn. That's why I suggested top sewing it. I've made many carpet repairs that way and it works. Hand sewn seams were the norm many years ago. If your neighbor is willing, perhaps you could impose upon him.

Old 12-25-06, 08:44 AM
P
top sew

I'll give it a try then ask my neighbor if it doesn't come out right. Thanx for the help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: