Bullnose stair tread wraps

Old 01-13-07, 08:28 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
Bullnose stair tread wraps

I'm redoing my stairwell that used to be solid carpet from top to bottom. I've taken off the existing carpet, and the base construction is all particle board-type material, including the steps themselves that are about 1.25" thick and have a rounded-edge.

So far, I have covered the vertical portion of each stair with a 1/4" thick wood facing.

I now want to apply carpet to each tread, wrapping around the bullnose edge and stopping at the wood facing. The carpet is a frise.

My question is this: Is there a minimum amount of "wrap" I need to do this successfully? The front face of the wood pieces meet the underside of each tread right about where the radius of the bullnose finishes.

I'm just not familiar enough with the nature of carpet installing to know if it's necessary to tack the staples under-and-up-into the underside of the tread, or if it's okay to "toenail" them in (especially with a frise) if the carpet just makes the turn on the bullnose.

If it's not okay, do I need to bump the bullnose out more (the facings ate up 1/4" of what was available) with an added edge to give the carpet more of a margin to place the staples?

Thank you,

--Kelly

Old 01-13-07, 09:54 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you're using a Duofast electric stapler and are careful to work the nose past the yarn and down to the backing so you don't get too much yarn under the staple, you should be OK. That kind of carpet hides staples pretty well. Make sure the edge going over the nose of the tread is cut straight and square with the sides. Lots of installers like to roll the edge that's being stapled so there are no raw edges, but I don't think that will be necessary with this kind of carpet. The fuzzy look tends to be the same, rolled or not. The only advantage would be a double thickness giving a little more carpet for the staples to get hold of, but then the staples tend to dimple the carpet and show more. Kind of up to you. Either way works, I just don't like to see where the staples are. How are you going to fasten the carpet on the step? Pad or no pad? Are you just doing a runner down the center or carpeting the whole step?

P.S.= The minimum nose I like to see on a step is an inch and an eighth to an inch and a quarter. Less than that tends to make the nose just look like a bump instead of a good strong nose. This is with a set of steps having the riser and tread carpeted. Since you're just doing the tread, the eye won't be drawn to the shallow nose, it'll just see the difference between the riser material and tread material so it won't be so obvious. I'd do one first before trying to add any nose material to see how you like it. My guess is, it'll be fine.

Last edited by Smokey49; 01-13-07 at 10:01 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 01-13-07, 10:50 PM
I
The term is frieze.
This type is installed is called an upolstred or up north they call it cap and band.

I did two sets of these on Friday.My procedure is hard to explain in laymans terms.
You want about a 1.5 " overlap if you do not have that it may look funny.

I will explain more tomorrow my fingers are falling asleeppppp......

Old 01-15-07, 10:56 AM
I
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
Thanks, Smokey49! (Bullnose tread wrap)

I took your advice and finished a very professional-looking stairwell install yesterday. The small bullnose does indeed look substantial enough butting up to the wood facings, and the friese carpet was very forgiving (I can't even find staples when I look for them).

Anyway, this forum once again has proven very helpful (I did discover that DuoFast staples are impossible to find on a Sunday during MLK weekend).

Thanks again!

--Kelly

Old 01-22-07, 03:07 PM
D
Sears has em.

Old 01-22-07, 10:33 PM
S
You're welcome. Happy to be able to help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: