Removing Old adhesive

Old 02-04-07, 02:29 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removing Old adhesive

I've just pulled up the carpet in a 10 x 15 sun/dog room. It was smelling bad since the dog has pissed on it a few times when we were late getting home from work. Anyway, the old adhesive is really stuck and need any suggestions for getting it off. I've tried acetone, but it evaporates too fast.
Thanks for any pointers.

Old 02-04-07, 03:55 PM
Concrete substrate: Flooring razor scraper the 4" works better then the 8" stand up model. You have more leverage and power down on your knees.

Wood substrate: A floor sander and 24 or 36 grit paper. You may need some sand to spread out for the glue to stick to, instead of the sand paper, gumming it up.

If you plan on gluing something back down, chemicals will be the bond breaker to failure of the new flooring.

Old 02-05-07, 08:01 AM
CDW is correct however: If you do plan on gluing down another floor, the dog urine MUST be properly neutralized prior to doing so or it will have an adverse effect on the adhesive. Furthermore, after you have removed the old adhesive, you should do an "adhesive compatibility test". How to: Using the same adhesive you will be using to install the new floor, start by gluing down a 1' x 1' sample of the same flooring you will be installing over the old adhesive. We're not concerned with adhesive transfer here so rolling it will not be necessary, however I would suggest you do something (i.e. tape the perimeter and put some heavy books on it, etc..) so people won't slip / trip on it. After 48 hours, remove the carpet sample from the floor. If the sample comes up fairly easy / or the adhesive has a "greasy" feel to it, chances are the two adhesives are not compatible and will result in a less then satisfactory installation.

Hope this helps

Old 02-05-07, 08:38 AM
I
Thanks guys, I'm actually thinking about painting/sealing after etching. No more carpet or glue for sure. The stuff is a real pain in the butt to remove!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: