Carpet is sticky after cleaning

Old 06-27-07, 02:22 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carpet is sticky after cleaning

I have cleaned the carpet several times over the past three weeks, letting it dry between each. This is just one room of the house. I used carpet shampoo and thought that might be the problem (leaving residue), so I rinsed and rinsed and rinsed again, letting it dry each time. The carpet is about 20 years old and hasn't been really cleaned in a few years. It has had various spray foam cleaners used on it and because of a pet in the home has been wet, has had powdered carpet fresheners and sprays on it, etc. I have been using a Eureka Atlantis Optiheat deep clean extractor. I have used the Eureka brand shampoo, Mohawk Pet Odor & Soil Remover and Woolite Oxy Deep Steam with 2-3 rinsings between each. How do I get rid of the sticky feeling? I know it's going to attract dirt much faster as well. If possible I really need to do this myself rather than have a cleaning service come in. Also, once the sticky is taken care of, is there something I can use to keep the dog from returning? I heard rinsing the carpet with a vinegar and water solution is a natural way that's suppose to work? Hope you can help. Thank you!

Old 06-27-07, 04:28 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Hire a pro. DIY machines lack sufficient power to remove chemicals - this is why we don't let tenants clean their own carpet.

Old 06-28-07, 09:39 AM
please seriously consider replacing that carpet. 20 years old? wow. after all that wet cleaning & all those different soaps & powders, and apparently all the dog urine, replacement time is way yonder overdue.

Old 06-28-07, 01:03 PM
T
A professional carpet cleaning will clean and disinfect carpet and remove years of cleaning residues and other products in the carpet. It will not, however, remove 20 years' accumulation of those products in cushion and dog urine. Dog urine in cushion will continue to attract the dog.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: