What adhesive for padding on concrete

Old 07-02-07, 07:05 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What adhesive for padding on concrete

I am installing some new carpet and padding that was given to us by a friend. Its brand new cut loop (basic contractor grade) and rebond padding. Those are the given materials. And although I have read some posts suggesting other materials over concrete, I don't have any money to spend on changing these for now. Maybe when this wears out we'll do something different.

Anyhow, the question I have for now is what type of adhesive to use to glue down the new padding. The old padding was glued down and I have removed this with an old knife and a lot of elbow grease. Everything is cleaned up and ready. The room is about 12 x 13.5

Please let me know of the best recommendations given the afore mentioned materials and scenario.

Thanks much for the advise that all you experts provide to those of us forum readers!!!

~Troy

Old 07-02-07, 07:47 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Go to a well stocked carpet store and ask for pad cement. It comes in a one gallon can and looks a lot like contact cement. I've seen installers use multi purpose adhesive and trowel it on, but that isn't necessary. Cut all your pad in so it looks like it's finished, trimmed and all. Then use a carpenter's pencil and stick it between the seams and draw lines on the floor so you know where all the seams are. Next, fold the pieces of pad back on themselves so the seams and perimeter are exposed. Be careful not to shift the pad during this process. When you lay it back into the glue, you need it to go back where it belongs or you'll have a mess. Take the cap off the can. You should find a metal plug in the hole. Don't remove it. Use an awl and punch a hole in this plug. Then dribble the glue out of this hole onto the floor all along the perimeters of the rooms and along all the seams you've marked on the floor, making certain to get it on both sides of the seams. Then, put the remaining glue away and begin unfolding all the pad back into place, into the glue. Walk all the perimeters and seams to press the pad into the glue. The floor must be very clean or you'll just be glued to dirt and dust but not the floor. As you lay the pad back in place, use your feet to shift it as needed to make sure you have no gaps or overlaps and none of the pad is over the tack strip. This holds the pad sufficiently to install the carpet, but doesn't create a major job if it ever needs to be removed. You can just glue the perimeters and tape the seams, but I don't like doing that. It allows the pad to move around while positioning the carpet and is a bit of a hassle.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: