Accurately measuring for carpet

Old 07-13-07, 08:43 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Accurately measuring for carpet

How do I avoid over-charge by the carpet company as a reuslt of over-measure the room size?

I have two rooms, room I is 10'6'' by 29'2". Room II size is 11'8" by 12' 10", with a closet size 7' by 2'4". The carpet comes in width of 12'. How many sq ft do I need to order the carpet for room I and room II?

For room I, the carpet size, without adding any buffer space for edge trimming, is 12' * 29'2" = 356 sq ft. For room II, the carpet size, without adding any buffer space for edge trimming, is 12' * 12'10" = 154 sq ft. The room II closet is 12 * 2'4'' = 28 sq ft. How many add'l sq ft do I need to add to allow buffer for trimming in each room?

Thanks
SM

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-07, 09:46 PM
S
Do the two rooms tie together? In other words, will there be a seam joining them? If not, knapp direction is not a factor. If they will be joined with a seam, knapp direction is a factor. If they do not tie together, you can take advantage of the room sizes and avoid waste. You need to add three inches to each cut or piece to accommodate trimming so room one would need a 29 foot, five inch piece and room two would need a thirteen foot one inch piece, provided the closet is along a side of the room and not one of the ends. If it's on one of the ends, this room will need a fifteen foot five inch piece. If the closet is along one of the sides, the carpet can drop into the closet and you can use the cut off from the other room to fill it in. You'll have a couple seams to do it, but it's a closet. If the rooms tie together, I'll need to know how they lay out in regard to each other in order to figure the material. Bare in mind, the material comes twelve wide so you'll have some waste. This is unavoidable. If you figure sq. ft. of the room as the amount you need, you'll be wrong. Carpet is not sold in the exact dimensions of rooms. Also, where are the doors coming into the rooms? if they are on the sides, the extra width will drop through them. If they are on the ends, you'll need to add enough to drop through to the far edge of the doorway. You'll have to measure to determine that. Just make sure you have an extra three inches when all's said and done.

Old 07-13-07, 11:12 PM
S
Thank you for your answer. You are very thorough!

The two rooms are not connected to each other. There is a hall way in between.

For room I, the width needs of the carpet needs to be 12', even though the room width is only 10'6". The door to this room is a french (double) door, which is placed in the middle of the longer side of the room (the 29'5" side). There is a walk-in closet in the room (at the left upper corner of the room, the closet space is part of the 29'2" by 10'6"), do I need to add add'l inches to cover for the trim/seam between for the closet? Or I can just use 12' (instead of 10'6") * 29'5"(= 29'2" + 3")?

For room 2, the room size is 11'8" * 12'10". The closet (size 2'4" by 7') is not part of this measurement, it is along the side of 12'10", and an extention from 11'8" side. Therefore, the length of the room, if including the closet, it is 14'2" (11'8" + 2'4"). The door is located at the same side (12'10" side) of the closet, the other end of the room. If I would like to have one piece of carpet in the closet, what is the measurment for the room 2 and closet? Do I use room 2 = 12' (instead of 11'8") * 13'1 (=12'10" + 3"). The closet measurement would be 12' (instead of 7') * 2'7" (=2'4" + 3")?

Thanks again.

Old 07-13-07, 11:56 PM
S
Padding for carpet

Hi,

One new question for padding. The carpet is stainmaster@ Kamaro, pulsh carpet, 46 oz face weight, 4.5 twist, solid color. Home Depot has two types of adding, one is $5.16 per sq yard, thickness is 1/2". The other one is $3.96 sq yard, the thickness is 7/16. What is your advice on which kind of padding to buy?

Thanks
SM

Old 07-14-07, 05:17 AM
S
Carpet quality and padding question

Found out I had typos in the earlier question. The correct version:

I am replacing the current carpet in two bed rooms. The new carpet that I am getting is stainmaster@ Kamaro, pulsh carpet, 46 oz face weight, 4.5 twist, solid color. The cost is $16.2 per sq ft and $1.8 per sq yard. This is Home Depot's special price. Is this a good price?

For padding, Home Depot has two types of foam padding, one is $5.16 per sq ft, thickness is 1/2". The other one is $3.96 sq ft, the thickness is 7/16". What is your advice on which kind of padding to buy?

Thanks
sm

Old 07-14-07, 06:54 AM
S
1) If the walk in floor space is included in the 10'6", for measuring purposes, it doesn't exist, so long as it fits within your overall length. You won't need a seam here. The material will just be cut to drop into the closet during installation. What material is in the hallway? You want to terminate two dissimilar materials directly under the door when it's closed. If you're seaming to another carpet, you need enough material to cut a seam. If you're going to a wood or some other sort of hard surface, you only need to reach it with enough material to properly tuck it, or Z-bar it, or clamp down it. Carpet is advertised to come twelve wide, but seldom actually does. Most of it will be at least an inch narrow. If the room is 10'6", and you lay the carpet in with the edge a 1/4 inch away from the wall on the wall opposite the french door, even if the material is narrow, you should be able to get to the center of the door with a bit to spare, assuming your walls are standard. You'll make up the quarter inch, plus a bit, during stretching.

I have to get to a meeting and don't have time to finish this MANUSCRIPT now. I'll pick it back up when I return.

Old 07-14-07, 09:30 AM
S
OK, I'm back. Now, where was I?.....Oh yeah, room 2. Since the two rooms don't touch, you're going to lay the carpet in to make best use of the material. I re-read your description and it makes sense now so disregard the previous confusion. (Amazing what a good breakfast will do.) The other room is 10'6" wide and basically 29 long. This room should have a cut off of at least one foot three inches wide that is at least twenty four feet long. If you take that piece and cut it into three pieces and lay them side by side, it will give you enough material to fill in the closet in room two. Doing it this way, if I've understood correctly, the knapp should run correctly and all will be well. If I have not understood correctly, the knapp may not run the same, but it's a closet. Who cares? Many installers don't like doing stuff like that. They get paid by the yard and want to lay as many yards as possible in as short a time as possible in order to make as much as possible in as short a time as possible. This method means a couple more seams and less material purchased. Make sure, if you go this route, that the installer is very clear on how this is to be done so he doesn't waste this cut off piece. Some of them like to hack that stuff up so it's unusable. Have him cut this piece off using a straight edge before installing the big room. If he's any kind of an installer, this should not be a problem for him. You don't, however want to hack him off. He's a pro and knows how to do his job so don't be antagonistic about it, just tell him this was your plan and ask if he can accommodate it. My main concern with this bedroom is, where does the door come into it? Customarily, I'd expect it to be somewhere along the 12'10" side. If the door opens into the room, it will be mounted on the side of the jamb inside the room and you should have enough material to reach the termination point. If it opens into the hall, you may have a problem there. If the material comes in significantly narrow, which I've seen on far too many instances, you may have a problem.

I always recommend 8 pound, three eighths inch pad unless you have in floor radiant heat or are trying to deal with some sort of issue. If you have to, go to a real store and get it. The reason takes a bit of typing to explain and I'd be happy to do so if you'd like.

My guess is, you've miss typed or misunderstood their prices. These stores sell carpet by the sq. ft. and there are nine sq. ft. in a sq. yd. If they're selling pad at 5'16 a sq. ft, that works out to 46.44 per sq. yd. I don't think even they could get away with that. If the carpet is really 16.20 per sq. ft, that works out to 145.80 per sq. yd. Even including pad and labor, that's a bit excessive. There are many factors that go into picking carpet to determine if you're getting your money's worth. Stainmaster is not carpet, it's a company that makes yarn and sells it to companies that make carpet. If a carpet says "stainmaster" on it, it just means they used a branded yarn to produce it, in this case, stainmaster, instead of "weardated". I'm not saying that's a bad thing. In fact it's quite the opposite. Both these companies, stainmaster and weardated, use only the best materials to make their yarn. Assuming the price is actually 16.20 per sq. yd. and not per sq. ft, this is a middle of the road price. If the price includes labor and pad, it's a good price, but be very sure what you're getting for pad if that's the case. The key to the life of your carpet is the pad and the less expensive pads are much less dense which is death on your carpet.