Carpet stretching - how to

Old 05-18-07, 10:51 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Carpet stretching - how to

Hi,

I nee to stretch my carpet but am a bit wairy on how to do this. The area having an issue is where the hallway meets the bedroom.

A few specific questions:
- What angle to do this at? Unfortunately, it's not as easy as having an entire wall with nothing else. There is a hallway.

- How much should I cut off after the stretching is done? Don't want to cut off too much, leaving a space (I've heard carpets "resettle" after being cut causing a shrink effect)

- Is removing all the furniture from the bedroom necesary, or can I put all/or most of the stuff against the wall opposite I will be working on?

TNX for any help

Old 05-18-07, 04:13 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Hire a pro. Carpet stretching is tough to do properly without a power stretcher and experience.

Old 05-18-07, 05:07 PM
S
Do you have access to tools? Rental shop, friend, inherited, so on? I don't mind talking you through it. It's like anything else in construction, it's all a great mystery until you've seen it done once or twice. Is the strip and pad in or do you need to do that also? Do you know what tools you need? All the questions are to determine where we're starting and go from there.

Old 05-18-07, 08:34 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I respectfully disagree with Smokey and think this is something you should hire done. That said, if you want to try it yourself, Smokey'll walk you through it pretty well.

Old 05-21-07, 07:17 PM
This isn't "hire a pro" it is do it yourself.

Like smoley said, there are many things to know before we head you down the path of no return.

Carpet and rug institute has a stretching diagram, for what its worth.

Old 05-22-07, 10:48 AM
T
Thanks all. I had no idea it could turn out to be so complex and/or difficult. From your replies, I could tell I need to do some research on tools needed, skills, etc. before getting down on my knees for the job.

Time is a bit of a factor so I think hiring a pro (at least for this one room), will be the best option, then DIY in the future.

Thanks again.

Old 05-22-07, 06:42 PM
If you have never seen it properly done, the concept of the tools and what to do, is kind of hard to describe to you.

Old 10-27-07, 08:01 PM
S
Carpet stretching

I know this is an older thread, but found it when doing a SEARCH of stretching.

The carpet I wanted to stretch was carpet that had been down approx. 6 years, and had a couple buckles, but was loose in many places. I wasn't going to install any new carpet.

I went to the CARPET INSTITUTE and printed the DIAGRAM FOR STRETCHING, then followed such to the TEE, and had great results. I was careful to plan ahead where a floor register was involved. The dining room had one floor register near the corner and near the outside wall, so I made that my starting point. Doing such didn't move the register opening thus saving me a problem. The other room was a hall connected to a bedroom, and such didn't have a floor register to contend with.

I would suggest that anyone that hasn't installed carpet before that they take their time and THINK IT OUT, but the diagram explains the process well. I am NOT saying a do-it-yourselfer would get the same results as a pro, but a do-it-yourselfer CAN do it.

Dale in Indy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: