Correct way to use a seam iron?

Old 01-27-08, 08:23 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Correct way to use a seam iron?

Hi all,
I read here an article that talked about carpet seaming. I'm still unclear on exactly how to use the iron. The article said to press the hot iron directly on the bare adhesive tape. This strikes me as counter-intuitive, since it would get adhesive all over the iron face.

I would have thought you lay the edges onto the adhesive tape, then mash the iron onto the carpet (top) itself, and let the heat go through the carpet and melt into the backing without getting stuff all over the iron.

Was that article (http://www.doityourself.com/stry/howtoinstallcarpet) correct--you mash the iron onto the bare adhesive and then put the carpet edges onto the melted adhesive?
Thanks,

--Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-08, 06:30 PM
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The seam iron, gets placed on the seam tape under the carpet edge. Yes, it gets all over the bottom of the iron. That is why the iron, has a tray, it sets in, to catch any glue drip, and so you don't set a hot gluey iron on anything.

Set a seam iron on top of the carpet, even a clean one, and it is going to melt the nylon face pretty quickly!!!

Don't forget to seam seal your cut edges, of the seam, before constructing the seam.

Old 01-31-08, 08:36 PM
J
Floorguy,
Thanks very much! I guess it's a little different than ironing clothes. I guess I'll have to spend some time cleaning my wife's iron after I'm done...
--Jim

Old 02-03-08, 11:39 AM
A clothes iron is not a seam iron!!!!

You will never get all the waxy thermoplastic off the bottom of a clothes iron. The clothes iron will sit wider then the tape, melting the padding.

Old 05-26-08, 11:29 AM
N
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I just had to do this for the first time. I rented one that has a setting from 1-4. I tried it on 2 and 3, wasn't getting hot enough. Tried it on 4, got the right heat. I tried sliding it down the tape seam like I've seen in tutorials, but after I finished and waited 30 minutes, the tape did not stick at all.

I re-layed the tape and tried again. This time I held down the iron(on setting 4, hottest) for about 15 or so seconds, removed the iron, pressed down the carpet with my knuckles and worked it in, then placed the iron on the next section and kept working my way down like this. Looks fine and I can't pull it up.

Not sure why I couldn't just drag the iron down the seam tape?

Old 05-28-08, 04:06 AM
S
It sounds like you didn't use a seam wieght. I use my iron on two and a half. Anything hotter partially melts the carpet backing and causes the edges of the seam to pucker. When I first started, I was seaming a really cheap piece of goods and discovered the material was melting as I went along and creating a gap. Looked awful, took some doing to fix, but I learned a lot on that one. You do just drag the iron along, tracking it as you go, and moving the seam wieght the same distance the iron is moved. The wieght helps keep the material in good contact with the seam tape long enough to get a good bond and keeps the seam flat as it begins to cool so it will remain flat. You also need to make the seam draging the wieght the same direction the knap lays down. If you drag it against the knap, you'll reset the knap direction where the seam is and the material will have a very obvious stripe there. By the way, there is a new iron on the market that works with microwave and you do set it on top of the carpet rather than in direct contact with the seam tape. They're pricy so I haven't gotten one, but I think it would be great for doing seam repairs.

Old 05-28-08, 01:57 PM
N
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
It was a rental, didn't see any weight on it or any signs of the carpet backing melting. Worked out alright, looks better than the seam that was there by a pro(wouldn't call the installer much of a pro though). Don't plan to do it anytime soon again.