How to choose best carpet padding

Old 01-28-08, 08:07 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to choose best carpet padding

I'm preparing to install new carpet in my house, and friends of mine have told me to invest in better pad than the normal one used. Could someone explain the differences in the pads and possibly which one I should go with?

Old 01-28-08, 02:35 PM
always use the best padding you can afford if the carpet is good. good padding and cheap carpet will feel and look better/longer than good carpet on cheap padding. go with your friends advese. padding is rated by the amount of weight it can support. like carpet. i like a 9/16 thick pad if you can use it rather than 1/2. the denser the better and the longer the carpet will last.

Old 01-28-08, 06:50 PM
9/16 urethane rebonded cushion, which I have not seen in 10 years, voids ALL warranties the carpet manufaturer places on the carpet. It promotes wrinkles, as the flex, breaks the primary & secondary backings, bond. Delamination is in the near future with 9/16 cushion.

Same for a true 1/2" cushion(most marked 1/2" is acutally shaved to 7/16 and upsold as a better cushion.)

CRI 104 & 105 the standards for carpet installation, strictly state, no cushion greater then 7/16" or big concerns start to happen.

Loop pile carpets, are another animal, and must have no greater then 3/8" thick cushion, with a high density, as there is not much face, to take the brunt of foot traffic.

Density is another aspect, the denser/firmer the cushion, the better. They have 3½ and 4-lb. density, which is commonly used in rental properties, as those carpets get changed out often because of staining and lack of care. those less dense cushions void all carpet warranties, because of the flex, again. 6-lb. is the minimum density needed to keep the carpet manufacturers warranty on a cut pile carpet, and 8-lb. density on loop pile carpets.

Then you then have synthetic felt which is measured in oz.

You have neopreme rubber and rubber waffle pad, to choose from, too.

Old 01-29-08, 08:07 AM

i stand corrected on the thickness! you are never too old to learn.(what was that about 'OLD DOGS' and 'TRICKS'?

Old 01-30-08, 07:55 AM
D
so, 7/16 and greater than 6lb density is best?

Old 02-03-08, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by Danko View Post
so, 7/16 and greater than 6lb density is best?

Not really the best, but better then minimum requirements.

Neopreme rubber is "the best", and it is not an economy pad, like rebond.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: