Under-Carpet Heat for a room over garage?

Old 03-30-08, 10:11 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Under-Carpet Heat for a room over garage?

Hello,

We're 'refurbishing' a bedroom in our 1959 house to be a nursery for our expected 'family addition'.

The problem is, this room is right above our attached garage. This is a ranch house but the garage is exposed and the house sits on a sort-of hill.

Problem 1: There's drywall on the garage ceiling but no insulation between the garage and the main living space. I intend to demo, insulate, re-rock, and seal this at some point but no time and no money right now.

Problem 2: Brick house. No exterior wall insulation. The walls are cold and the hardwood floors don't make it feel any warmer.

Problem 3: Since the forced air ducts are running through this un-insulated space, the air that comes out of them isn't as cold as it is in the rest of the house (why do old houses have the furnace at the furthest end of the house from the bedrooms???)

We're having new carpet installed in these bedrooms, over the existing hardwood. I'm sure that will help a little but not enough. I've tried using an oil-filled electric radiant heater but it smells funny and I wouldn't put it in a bedroom as a solution.

I was considering under-carpet electric radiant heat. Is anyone here using anything like this? I was looking specifically at this: http://www.speedheat.us/sales/carpetmate/cm470.html

The room is about 10 x 13, so I've written the company to see if they recommend 1 or 2 units. I'm really curious as to how this group feels about this sort of thing, though, as it might be more of a band-aid to a larger issue.

Thank you!
Mike K

Old 03-30-08, 03:49 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I should note that this would be a BIG stretch on our budget and I'll only consider it if people think it's a GREAT option. I'd otherwise be more inclined to use some $25 space heaters or install an electric baseboard in this room.

I thought this might be long-term and safe and maybe a good investment, though, before the carpet goes in.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: