Wet carpet and underlay

Old 05-24-08, 11:58 PM
N
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Wet carpet and underlay

Sump pump overflowed, soaked the carpet in my walk in closet, about a 5x5 area. Pulled up the carpet up to the door frame, removed the underlay. Underlay appeared to soak up most of the water so it's been air drying with a fan in the garage for 3 days(still damp).

Questions:

1) Should I reuse this underlay or after 3 days of trying to dry it out, will it still mold? It's only a 5x5 piece so shouldn't cost too much to replace if necessary.

2) A bit of water seemed to have made it's way past the closet that I can't get to without completely removing everything from the room and tearing up the carpet. It's a very little amount and I want to know how long it will take to air dry with a fan blowing under before I can call it good and drop the carpet back down.

3) The water was sump water, no odor, just a slight yellow color. Is it dangerous at all(bacteria wise)?

Old 05-25-08, 12:04 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carpet and cushion that remains wet for 24-48 hours poses mold/mildew problems. It is best to remove carpet and cushion from affected areas or remove cushion, roll back carpet and use fans and dehumidifiers to dry out. Then, disinfect concrete with bleach water solution and continue to dry out area with fans and dehumidifier. Install new carpet cushion and reinstall carpet. Have carpet professionally cleaned and disinfected.

Old 05-25-08, 01:34 AM
N
Originally Posted by twelvepole View Post
Carpet and cushion that remains wet for 24-48 hours poses mold/mildew problems. It is best to remove carpet and cushion from affected areas or remove cushion, roll back carpet and use fans and dehumidifiers to dry out. Then, disinfect concrete with bleach water solution and continue to dry out area with fans and dehumidifier. Install new carpet cushion and reinstall carpet. Have carpet professionally cleaned and disinfected.
How long will it take before I can tell if mold develops? I found out after my original post that water did in fact make it past the closet into the room, but not nearly as much - the underlay is just damp to the touch and not completely soaked and dripping like the closet was. I've got it all rolled up and have the underlay air drying. I do not want to replace the underlay in the room itself as its a really short section and I'll have to completely empty the room - I just rolled up as much as I could without removing the heavy furniture. Will it being just a bit damp matter as compared to the closet which was completely saturated?

Old 05-25-08, 02:20 AM
N
After reconsideration, I've cut out the affected underlay up to where it was dry. Will follow the rest of your tips. Thanks.

Old 05-25-08, 09:58 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Carpet can be cleaned, underlayment cannot. You made the right call replacing all of it that got wet.

Old 05-25-08, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This water damage is a class 2 since it would be considered a black water damage. Padding, underlayment should be ripped out and replaced as they are porous. Carpet can be cleaned and SANITIZED and be relayed...as long as it is not wet longer than 72 hours. You should also inspect baseboards, drywall and anything in the area. Contact your homeowners ins ...if you had a rider on your policy this MAY be covered.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: