Where to get cheap commercial carpet?

Old 06-07-08, 07:04 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Where to get cheap commercial carpet?

Have an area that is 15x17, and I am having a hard time finding cheap carpet this size. Home depot has special order on it, but its a bit expensive. Lowes has a 15 feet size, but its a very light color and most are out of stock.

Basically, the carpet is going to be a throw on to provide protection for existing carpet. The carpet can't be extremely rough, since kids will play on it. If there are other ideas besides using a carpet, please let me know. I am not going to staple the carpet down, as I would like to be able to fold it up and set it aside if needed.

Located in MA.

Old 06-07-08, 10:34 AM
T
Putting a piece of carpet on top of the carpet you are trying to protect is not a good idea. The carpet backing will abrade the carpet fibers you are trying to protect.

If carpet is in a play area, why not put down a painter's drop cloth. It would provide protection for carpet, could be folded up as needed, and it can be taken to the laundrymat and washed in one of the huge washers. Painter's drop cloths are light in color, but they are washable.

Old 06-07-08, 03:52 PM
S
interesting idea, I guess I could try it. Problem is finding a color such as blue or even brown. Most drop clothes are white/off White. Another issue is that one can't really vacuum a drop cloth since it would just get sucked into the vacuum.

Old 06-07-08, 05:23 PM
T
You might take a look at some area rugs. You won't find large ones at discount stores, but you could buy two or three just alike and tape them together.

It sounds like you want to be decorative as well as protect the carpet as a play area. Let's say you run a day care in your home during the day. Covering floor with drop cloth, no matter the color, would give you the protection your seek and a washable option that could be shook out the back door and folded up until the next work day. Area rug(s) would cover the carpet and could be vacuumed, but it's likely that you would be as protective of them as you are of the carpet.

If rolling out a piece of commercial carpet on top of the exisiting carpet, there will be movement, and the rough textured backing will abrade the carpet fibers. It would be easier to fold up a drop cloth than to roll up a piece of carpet and take to the garage.

Another option is to use the existing carpet and enjoy it, taking the wear in stride. Keep stain removers on hand and have carpet professionally cleaned as needed. Limit eating and drinking to safe areas like the kitchen. Messy crafts can be done in safe areas as well. Limit the carpeted area to games, reading, TV watching, etc.

Old 06-07-08, 07:31 PM
S
thanks. Area rugs I have looked into, although its been difficult to find a 15x17, so we looked for some 8x9's but gave up since we don't know how well taping two together will go. Plus, the rugs end up costing just the same as a 15x17 commercial, if not more.

Maybe I could do a combo? Put painter's cloth, then on top of that put the commercial carpet to avoid abrasion?

Old 06-07-08, 09:30 PM
T
That's an option! Please explain why such a major concern about the carpet.

Is this the livingroom, familyroom, basement rec room? Are these your kids or are you running a daycare? How many kids and what ages? What children's activities? How old is the carpet and what kind?

We have explored so many options, that I am at the point where I want to remove the carpet and put in a floor covering like laminate that will allow the freedom of kids to romp and mom can wipe up spills, scrub off the crayons, not worry about tracking, and have a room where life is relaxed and not controlled by a piece of carpet that can be replaced. Life is short, carpet can be replaced, kids need to be relaxed, and so does mom. I just don't feel comfortable where carpet is ruling your lifestyle.

It puts me mind of going to someone's house where they ask you to remove your shoes. I kick off my shoes because I'm from Appalachia where we don't like to wear shoes not because I want to protect the cheap neutral carpet in my current rental. If I were a shoe person, I'd certainly not let the carpet rule my life. I will, of course have the carpet professionally cleaned when I move out.

Old 06-08-08, 07:29 AM
S
heh, sorry about that. Yes, we have explored many options and I think the combo would be a way to go.

The carpet is installed is only a month old, so pretty much brand new. Yes, the area is for daycare purposes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: