carpet adhesive to concrete?

Old 06-18-08, 06:48 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
carpet adhesive to concrete?

I am somewhat refinishing a back room in the garage. I have a ton of carpet samples that I want to use for carpet but need to know what kind of adhesive would be best for adhering the carpet samples to the concrete, no padding or anything between. This is a temporary solution until i can afford something better, so i just want something cheap that will hold up for a little while and not cause a big mess when i pull it up. I have made area rugs with these before and used hot glue and duct tape and worked great. Would heavy duty double sided tape keep these in place?? Or just some kind of cheap adhesive to squirt or roll on? remember cheap cheap cheap...

Old 06-19-08, 12:06 PM
B
carpet glue? Someone please respond...

Well everyone keeps looking at my post, but no replies. What about carpet glue, if I just buy a gallon of it from home depot and roll it on before the carpet samples are placed? Anyone done this with regular carpet before to adhere to concrete?

Old 06-19-08, 04:15 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I think it's safe to assume that lots of views and no replies means most of us are having a hard time thinking of a way that this is going to work.

Old 06-19-08, 04:45 PM
C
I just used the "cheap" roll on adhesive to put my " cheap" comercial grade carpet in my guarage.It' been there for ten years now.The only problem I've had is where the guarage doors open up to the street the rain wicks up into the carpet.After about 8 years it started to come loose by the doors,otherwise it's all staying down just fine.

Old 06-19-08, 05:06 PM
D
How long do you think it would be "temporary" for? Just curious. If it were me, I wouldn't do anything. Also, what's the room used for? The reason why I wouldn't do anything is b/c it'll just be a little more work when you are ready. Plus...you get to save some $$$ not buying any glue and time not doing anything. If temporary is a year... it'll go by quite fast. How big are the carpet samples?

Old 06-20-08, 06:19 AM
B
carpet samples

Im not sure the exact size of the rectangles, they are just the normal size that most carpet stores have. The size you would put in front of a door for a door mat. I am not worried about how long it will last. This is going to be a "hang out/bachelors/video game/drinking room" So the carpet will probably get ruined before it starts coming up, and if areas come up that is fine. I was thinking of just the cheap carpet glue by the gallon from home depot. Does anyone know if this will cause a major issue later to scrape up? Since no one seems to think this will work, lets forget that they are carpet samples and just pretend it is just a big piece of carpet that I want to lay in my garage without padding, what is good adhesive to adhere to the concrete that will hold ok for awhile, then not cause a huge mess to clean later...???

Old 07-23-08, 11:27 AM
I'd advise against it

I am not a contractor or professional, but I would advise against gluing carpet to concrete.
I am currently dealing with carpet adhesive removal from my concrete basement floor, and it's shaping up to be a difficult and unpleasant job, and you can probably expect the same if you glue carpet to the garage floor. Also take into account whether your floor might get wet; unless the garage is heated all the time, you can probably expect some condensation, and once you get enough condensation, the carpet will start to smell. Every throw rug or whatever that I have had on concrete has gotten smelly eventually.
If you really want carpet on the floor, just put it down loose, so if it gets moisture damage, you can just pull it up and get rid of it and not have dry carpet glue to remove. Also, if you're willing to buy carpet adhesive, you might better spend the money on some concrete floor sealer and some garage floor paint; then you're not walking on unfinished concrete. Down the road, when you have more time and money, you can consider some garage- or basement-specific subflooring and lay carpet (or perhaps something more easily washable, if this is intended as a party room) on that instead of directly on the concrete, so you have a nice finished space.
That's my opinion. I hope it was helpful.

Old 07-23-08, 11:38 AM
B
Thank You

Thanks for your opinion, you are the first to actually post to this reply something that was worth reading!! I actually do have good news about this room, the landlord has agreed to cover all expenses to make this room an extra room, so she will be paying for drywall, etc and we will be doing the work. This includes new carpet!! So we will completelylay a subfloor and do it the right way. Thank you for your help with this, I appreciate your comments! Hope your job of removing the adhesive comes along nicely.

Old 09-28-08, 11:04 AM
concrete prep

My concrete slab is finally dry enough for me to tile it. now, I want to apply a latex seal of some sort to ..."lock it up." so it wont be in any way dusty. But here's the question...Is thin-set mortor gonna stick to this "treated" surface? AIO

Old 10-07-08, 09:19 PM
Read the substrate requirements, that the thinset manufacturer states must be met.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: