Blue Ink Stain Turned Yellow After Cleaining

Old 07-11-08, 08:18 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Blue Ink Stain Turned Yellow After Cleaining

There were some very dark blue ink stains in my carpet and I tried to remove it with 91% rubbing alcohol. Some of the ink came out but then it left behind a lighter blue smear that was very slow to come out, so I called a professional cleaner to steam clean the carpets and also remove the stain.

He was able to remove all the blue by using "Stain Magic," but now the spot looks bright yellow as if it's stained with a yellow highlighter pen instead previously near-black ink stain.
What else needs to be done to get rid of the yellow?
I thought the color might have been bleached out by the cleaner at first, but it looks way too bright yellow for that and neither the alcohol nor the stain magic is supposed bleach dye out of the carpet.

Old 07-16-08, 01:45 AM
there are many different ways of doing things..so i cannot really tell you what or why the cleaner chose to use stain magic

that is an oxidizer used to remove difficult organic stains....it can be used to remove dye stains

the yellow sounds like either a pH problem...were the pH from all the attempts has "shocked" the carpet..you would need to pH test the carpet to determine this

or there is residue left in the carpet..applying cool water and rinising the area and blotting it up may correct this if this is the case

have you talked to the company? many will return at no charge..

Old 07-16-08, 07:58 AM
W
The carpet cleaner didn't know what to do. He thought the dye was bleached, so he suggested I contact someone to get the carpet spot dyed.

I doubted that, so I called another carpet cleaner and he came out and flushed it for about an hour with a different cleaner. It looked like the almost all the yellow stain came out while the carpet was wet and he said it would probably go away when it dried, so I paid him and he left, but after the carpet dried, some of the bluish stain returned.
I called the second cleaner back and he said he would return and try again yesterday, but he didn't show up for the appointment. When I called to find out what happened didn't answer the phone and he hasn't return my message.

I'll call him again today if I don't get a return call.

The spotted areas are also starting to look more worn and frayed than the surrounding area from all the cleaning, so I'm not sure it's going to look good even if the rest of the stain comes out in another cleaning attempt.

I'm thinking it may need to be patched to replace the frayed carpet now, but a patch made from carpet from a closet will stand out because it will look like a square patch of new carpet surrounded by worn carpet. I could live with that if it the patch would blend in after a few months of being walked on.

Old 07-16-08, 11:42 PM
if its turning blue again the ink was never fully flushed out..it really needs water clawed..the ink sounds like its in the padding...im sorry to hear that the 'professional' will not return your call..that is a rare event in the industry most cleaners live and die off of referalls they cant make money with bad word of mouth...

a bonded insert from the closet would look close after wear...sometimes depending on the age of the carpet it make look pretty decent...some contractors will not make it a square of round insert..so its harder to see...instead of calling anyone else back..what i would do is..get a wet dry vac and rinse the area with cool water and keep the vac on and keep pulling it out and see what you can get out on your own...afterwards place white non bleached towels over the area and toss some heavy books on top of it..and see what that does

Old 07-18-08, 03:12 PM
D
sometimes the only way yo remove permanent marker is with a knife

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: