Carpet Edging

Old 07-18-08, 12:57 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carpet Edging

My home is set up so that the front door opens to the living room which is carpet (light color). The problem is that there is a high traffic walkway from the front door to the dining room (the entrance to the dining room is directly in front of the front door. Thus, there is about 16 feet of high traffic walkway that is carpeted like the living room although it does not really form part of the living room. It is very hard to keep the carpet in the walkway clean. I was wondering about taking up the carpet in this walkway area and replacing it with vinyl tile (the same tile that is in the dining room). However, the remaining carpet edge would be quite long, and I'm not sure how to deal with it. Do then even make carpet edgers that are that long? If not, would I need to use more than one? How does that work and so on? The floor underneath the carpet is concrete covered with vinyl tile. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-21-08, 08:10 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Metal trim, such as clamp down or flat metal, come in twelve foot sticks. Most hardware stores I've dealt with have it in six foot lengths at the longest, but I'm in an area with small hardware stores. It may be different where you live. I'm guessing the carpet is currently all one piece, which will mean there is no tack strip where the carpet will be terminated. You'll need to install tack strip, stretch the carpet onto it, and terminate it. If you go with clamp down, that is installed the same time the strip is. If you use flat metal, it's installed after the carpet is stretched. In either case, you'll have a joint in it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: